What do you need to know about buying snow tires?
How to Buy Snow Tires
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
A Winter Emergency Kit
Winterizing Your Car
How to Buy Snow Tires
I need to buy snow tires but don't know much about them. What should I look for and how can I find the best deal? I just moved from the south, so I've never bought snow tires before.
Visit Site for Useful Tips on Snow Tires
Use Bridgestone Blizzaks on all four wheels. They give amazing traction on ice! They use a combination of silica, soft rubber, sipes, and a closed cell rubber (think bubbles) that give a lot of "grabbing" surfaces. They do last much longer than I ever expected. A set I bought over 10 years ago is still in use by a friend. A spare set of wheels is very worthwhile so you don't need to do a major swap twice a year. TireRack.com has useful tips, videos, etc.
Larry in RI
No Need for Snow Tires
You probably do not need snow tires. Check Consumer Reports ratings on all-season tires with the best snow and ice traction.
Snow tires wear out fast if there is no snow and most regular tires grip well enough. More likely you need all-wheel or four-wheel drive.
Nothing works on ice but chains or ice tires and ice tires tear up roads and have very poor grip on anything other than ice surfaces.
I have lived in snow with regular tires and rear wheel drive. When needed, I put chains on. This only takes maybe ten minutes. Chains will get you anywhere in any ice or snow unless it is too deep for your vehicle. (I have even used chains in soft sand when going cross country in Africa. Tire chains are the real miracle workers.)
Take the Next Step:
- Visit the Automobile section of The Dollar Stretcher.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?