What you need to know about window tint
5 Tips for Auto Window Tints
by Michael M. Dickson
|Prepare Your Car for Summer Driving|
There's no question adding window tint to your vehicle improves appearance, but it does more than just improve looks. When applied by a professional, window tint can help increase resale value, passenger protection from flying glass, and more. The trick is to do some research before getting it completed.
Jared of Detail Wiz Window Tinting believes tint can add to the value of your vehicle. He suggests five ways that's true.
Why Tint Your Windows At All?
Sure, you could ask that question. In a difficult economy, why would you spend additional money on something that is just for looks? The answer is that it's not. Over the life of your vehicle, window tint can actually save you money. Did you know that running the air conditioner in your vehicle actually causes it to burn more gas? When you flip the switch engaging the air conditioner, your engine works harder to make up for the additional workload and increases gas consumption. Output can increase as much as 20%. That means up to a 20% reduction in your MPG (miles per gallon). Window tint reduces the need for air conditioning and saves you valuable MPG!
State Window Tinting Laws
Of course, before you actually get the windows tinted, you'll need to understand your state's laws regarding the tint level. Each state is different, and in some situations, each window can be different. For example, in Florida, you can tint the front side windows up to 28%, but the rear side windows can only be tinted 15%. In Vermont, you can't tint the front side windows, but you can tint the rear side and back window to any darkness you wish.
It's important to note the tint laws are susceptible to change at any time so research your state's window laws on a state website for the latest regulations.
Choose the Right Installer
Window tinting has become big business. Consumers are doing everything they can to save money in this tough economy, and window tint is just another way to save. However, you should always look for the most reliable professional installer you can before jumping in. Some things to look for in a reputable installer are:
- Do they have multiple locations? Often having multiple locations is a great sign they do quality work and their business is growing.
- Does the tint they sell have a warranty included by the installer? Most window tint has a warranty for the product through the manufacturer, but if the installer makes a mistake or the tint doesn't last, check to see that the installer stands behind their installation.
Avoid the $99 Fly by Night Window Tint Offers
These guys are often standing on street corners holding large signs or advertising their great deal online, but it's usually anything but a great deal. Window tint doesn't need to be expensive to be good, but in most cases, the tint itself is worth more than $99 if it's top shelf. Look for brand names used by the reputable professional installers such as Llumar, CPFilms, and Huper Optik to name a few.
Maintenance and Cleaning Instructions
Just like anything else on your vehicle, window tint lasts longer with regular maintenance. A couple of quick steps are all you need to keep your window tint in the best shape possible.
First, go over your window, looking for any bubbles that may have surfaced. Use a credit card under a soft towel and push the bubble towards the side of the window. Be careful not to push to hard. Lubricating the tint with water may help. Second, do not use any cleaner that contains ammonia on window tint. Ammonia is harsh on the tint and can eat through the film over continued use. Instead, visit your local professional installer or auto parts store for a "window tint safe" glass cleaner.
Michael M Dickson is a freelance writer, blogger, and aspiring novelist. He specializes in automotive and insurance related articles and blog posts. He has fifteen years experience in a highline automotive dealership in sales and finance positions and as an agent/owner of Michael M Dickson Insurance Agency Inc.
Take the Next Step
- For more money-saving auto articles, check out The Dollar Stretcher Auto Section.
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
- Are you getting the best auto insurance rate? See how much you could save with one click. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- What's that little switch on my ceiling fan?
- Tips for cleaning home siding
- How to decorate a backyard gazebo Readers' Solutions
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?