How to make hot chocolate mix into something really special
Recipes Using Hot Chocolate Mix
by Dollar Stretcher Readers
Mom's Hot Chocolate Mix
Using Up That Hot Chocolate
Recipes Using Hot Chocolate Mix Needed
I received some really nice "hot chocolate" mix. It's only sugar and cocoa powder. Does anyone have any recipes that use "hot chocolate" mix?
4 Things to Do with Extra Hot Chocolate Mix
- Sprinkle it on ice cream. I've been doing this since I was a kid.
- Throw some frozen bananas and milk or ice cream in the blender with it.
- Vanilla ice cream in the blender with some mix makes a great chocolate milk shake.
- Make chocolate pudding. Add milk to desired sweetness, vanilla, and cornstarch.
Make Spiced Hot Chocolate
I enjoy homemade Chai. It occurs to me that you could make a spiced hot chocolate. Consider trying an idea from AllRecipes.com. You might try substituting your hot chocolate mix for the unsweetened chocolate and sugar.
Jazz It Up!
I use a few drops of peppermint or vanilla in mine to make it a little spicy. Also gives it a nicer scent so it doesn't seem like it's out of a pack.
Discover the secret recipes from your favorite restaurants at RecipeSecrets.net
Make Adjustments to Use in Other Recipes
Are you sure it is just sugar and cocoa? Many mixes also incorporate dry milk, powdered sugar, sugar, cinnamon, etc., depending how fancy the giver made the mix. However, if we go with just sugar and cocoa, you could probably use it in cakes and cookies. However, you may run into the problem about how much sugar is in the hot cocoa mix. I would probably reduce the sugar in the recipes by 1/3 to 1/2 of the cocoa you are adding. For instance, if your chocolate cake recipe calls for a half cup of cocoa, I would reduce the total amount of sugar in the recipe by a quarter of a cup. It will take some experimenting, but I think it can be done.
Take the Next Step:
- For great recipe ideas, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Library .
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit our Pinterest board for Recipes to Fit Any Budget.
Discuss "Using Up That Hot Chocolate" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Food & Groceries
- 10 ways to save at a farmers market
- Sizzling tips for searing meats
- 3 basic recipes to make cooking at home easier
- 5 ways to save when dining out
- Stocking up: Tips for storing surplus food
- Know what you're getting when you purchase ground beef
- April bargains in supermarkets and beyond
- 10 grocery savings revealed
- 7 frugal ways to save money on groceries
- Savings challenge: Create a weekly dinner menu