How to make hot chocolate mix into something really special
Recipes Using Hot Chocolate Mix
by Dollar Stretcher Readers
Mom's Hot Chocolate Mix
Using Up That Hot Chocolate
Recipes Using Hot Chocolate Mix Needed
I received some really nice "hot chocolate" mix. It's only sugar and cocoa powder. Does anyone have any recipes that use "hot chocolate" mix?
4 Things to Do with Extra Hot Chocolate Mix
- Sprinkle it on ice cream. I've been doing this since I was a kid.
- Throw some frozen bananas and milk or ice cream in the blender with it.
- Vanilla ice cream in the blender with some mix makes a great chocolate milk shake.
- Make chocolate pudding. Add milk to desired sweetness, vanilla, and cornstarch.
Make Spiced Hot Chocolate
I enjoy homemade Chai. It occurs to me that you could make a spiced hot chocolate. Consider trying an idea from AllRecipes.com. You might try substituting your hot chocolate mix for the unsweetened chocolate and sugar.
Jazz It Up!
I use a few drops of peppermint or vanilla in mine to make it a little spicy. Also gives it a nicer scent so it doesn't seem like it's out of a pack.
Make Adjustments to Use in Other Recipes
Are you sure it is just sugar and cocoa? Many mixes also incorporate dry milk, powder sugar, sugar, cinnamon, etc., depending how fancy the giver made the mix. However, if we go with just sugar and cocoa, you could probably use it in cakes and cookies. However, you may run into the problem about how much sugar is in the hot cocoa mix. I would probably reduce the sugar in the recipes by 1/3 to 1/2 of the cocoa you are adding. For instance, if your chocolate cake recipe calls for a half cup of cocoa, I would reduce the total amount of sugar in the recipe by a quarter of a cup. It will take some experimenting, but I think it can be done.
Take the Next Step:
- For great recipe ideas, please visit here.
Discuss "Using Up That Hot Chocolate" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also In This Week's Issue
- 7 restaurant deals you shouldn't swallow
- 7 smart strategies of extreme couponers
- Healthy family breakfasts
- Secrets of a grocery clerk
- Using your freezer to prevent food waste
- Tips for preserving and conserving produce
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.