Think about insurance before you visit the showroom
Buying an Insurance Friendly Car
by Aliya Martin
How to Buy a New Car on the Web
Switching Car Insurance
According to the annual "Your Driving Costs" study by the American Automobile Association (AAA), the yearly cost of owning and operating a vehicle in the U.S. increased by 3.4 percent in 2011. While overhead costs of owning a car is constantly on the rise, one way to reduce monthly expenses for a car is buying a vehicle with inexpensive auto insurance, such as an insurance friendly vehicle. If you are planning to buy a car, an insurance friendly car can help you save significantly on your auto insurance premiums. Here in this article we will take a look at some useful tips on buying insurance friendly cars.
In order to buy a car with inexpensive auto insurance, you need to pay attention to several factors. Following are the top four tips on how to buy an insurance friendly vehicle.
Kind of vehicle - The first thing to do is to know which types of vehicles are considered insurance-friendly. Auto insurance premiums for high performance vehicles are usually very expensive. If you want a discount on auto insurance, you should avoid buying the following types of vehicles:
- Sports cars
- Expensive luxury cars
- Vehicles with high horsepower
- Extremely small vehicles
- High performance vehicles
- Large SUVs
On the other hand, some examples of vehicles with low rates of auto insurance premiums include minivans, station wagons, and family sedans.
Theft rates - The theft rate of a vehicle should also be taken into consideration when looking for a vehicle with inexpensive auto insurance. Insurance companies usually charge low auto insurance rates for vehicles with lower theft rates. To check out the theft rating of a car, you can visit the official website of the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB).
Repair cost - Some vehicles require comparatively low repair costs after an accident. Such vehicles fall in the category of insurance friendly cars. The repair cost of a vehicle depends a lot on the quality of spare parts and accessories used for its manufacturing. You need to do a little research on this to find out the right vehicle.
Price of the car - Expensive cars are usually charged with expensive auto insurance premiums. So, if you are planning to buy a luxury car, you may not get the desired discount on the rate of auto insurance. Some insurance companies charge more for vehicles that are made abroad. The repair costs for these cars are usually higher than those of domestically manufactured cars. This is simply because cars made abroad require paying more for shipping replacement parts from other countries.
Keeping a check on the above mentioned tips can make it easy for you to find an insurance friendly car. You can also consult an auto insurance agent to know more about these cars. However, before taking advice from an insurance company about this, make sure that you check the company's background and reputation.
Aliya Martin is a financial consultant with wide experience in the insurance domain. As a writer and blogger, she loves to provide information and opinions on various types of insurance and these days, she is working on inexpensive auto insurance. To know more about discount auto insurance, visit our site.
Take the Next Step:
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
- Find more guidelines for choosing the best car for you car.
- Have an auto insurance question? Our auto insurance section just might have the answer.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 8 ways to save on auto insurance
- Homemade window de-icer
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators