How do you clean an oscillating fan?
Cleaning an Oscillating Fan
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Pesky Household Problems
Spring Cleaning for Today's Mom
How to Clean a Fan
Cleaning an Oscillating Fan
I have an oscillating fan that I want to use this summer, but it's gotten really dusty. What's the best way to clean it?
Blow the Dust Away
We use a leaf blower. We bring the fans outside and blow all the dust off. It works great!
Two Ideas to Try
- If you have a compressor, take the fan outside and blow it out.
- If not, then find a long, thin handled paintbrush (like a crafts brush) and try that. Most of the time that helps.
I have four indoor cats that love sleeping in front of the fan, and invariably, their fur gets "pulled" into the fan blades. I have found both these methods very helpful.
Clean with Hot Steaming Water
One of the best cleaning investments I made was to buy a small, handheld steam cleaner. Sure, I paid about $52 for it up-front, but I've saved a lot. First of all, it cleans all those nasty, grimy places (like fans, screen windows, floor duct vents, around faucets in bathrooms, in the corners of bathroom floors, and even your gas grill) with hot steaming water. Second, I no longer buy cleaning products because all I need is my steamer and a towel to mop up the grime and water residue. It's made cleaning kind of fun!
Worth the Risk?
I have cleaned electric fans with soap and water. I didn't submerge them, but sprayed soapy water on the dirty blades and the grills and reached in with a long-handled brush to scrub. I did this three years in a row. After that, the fan didn't work, but I considered it worth the risk.
Takes Time, But It Works
I used to have a fan that I cleaned with a damp rag and a butter knife. It took forever, but I got it pretty clean that way. I unplugged first of course. For only dust, a SwifferŽ should work okay.
Take the Next Step:
- For more great cleaning tips, please visit here.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?