A brand new look for only a few dollars!
9 Things to Do with One Yard of Fabric
by Kathy Woodard
10 Top Home Decorating Buys Under $10
Bring Color to Your Home
Finishing Touches for Less
When home decorating on a budget, one of the top designer tricks is using fabric to freshen a room. Can't afford to cover all the furniture, replace the drapes, and make custom bedding with the fabric you fell in love with? No problem! Sometimes all it takes is one yard of fantastic fabric in order to transform your home-decorating scheme from blah to fantastic. Here are nine things you can do with just one yard of fabric!
Wrap it over a headboard or armchair.
Hem or tape under the edges of your yard of fabric, and wrap it around your headboard or the back of a comfy chair to add sudden and simple style. Or drape it over the back of an upholstered chair like a throw and tuck under the cushion.
Make a custom roller shade the easy way.
Use a fusible fabric shade kit to iron your fabric right onto a roller shade. You can use a solid piece or use strips of the fabric to create stripes or borders. You can find a kit at any home improvement store, or you can DIY with fusible webbing found in the craft section.
Custom pillow pops!
Add a pop of color to your rooms with a new pillow cover in your fabric. You can either sew up a quickie cover yourself, or simply wrap an exciting pillow with the fabric. Pin it in back, or use creative items like costume jewelry or hairpins to attach the fabric to the pillow. Cut your fabric into wide strips, and wrap a strip around every throw pillow in the room!
Frame a collection on the wall.
Hem or tape the edges of your fabric yard under and then hang on the wall like a wall hanging. Use it as a colorful background to hang a photo collection. Black and white photo prints look striking set off with a colorful fabric.
Edge guest towels and shower curtains.
Add an edging of your chosen fabric to your guest towels, and sew a wide band onto the bottom of your shower curtain to update your bath in a flash.
Dress up curtains and drapes.
Make fabric napkins for the dining table.
Add flair and fun to the dining room by creating four cloth napkins out of your fabric. You can sew up the edges, or use fusible hem tape and your iron to have quick no-sew napkins in a snap!
Frame your fabric as art.
Fabric today is a beautiful art form, and there is nothing wrong with treating it as a solid design element in your room. Frame your fabric under a neutral mat, or use the fabric as background for a shadow box hanging of a favorite memory. Hang concert tickets, baby shoes, shells or wedding invitations as cheap wall art that doesn't look cheap.
Shop home improvement at Overstock.com
Dress up a glass top table.
If your end tables or bedside tables have a removable glass top, lay your fabric under the glass for an upscale look for just a few dollars.
When home decorating on a budget, sometimes all it takes is a small amount of really great fabric to make a big difference in a room, pumping up the style and color for just a few bucks!
Visit Factory Direct Drapes and use their free Virtual Room Designer to help you choose the best draperies and curtains or valances for your home.
Kathy Woodard is a freelance writer and home-decorating expert. For thousands of free home decorating ideas, you can visit her at TheBudgetDecorator.com.
Take the Next Step:
- For more great home-decorating tips, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Library .
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Frugal Home Decorating and Remodeling" board today!
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?