Keep your suede boots looking good all winter
How to Care for Suede Boots
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Caring for Suede
How to Waterproof Suede
These Boots Are Made for Walking
How to Care for Suede Boots
At the end of last winter, I bought this great pair of suede boots. I want to wear them often, but I'm concerned how they'll hold up to snow, slush, and road salts. Can anyone suggest how to care for my suede boots, so they continue to look good?
Find a Good Suede Cleaner/Polish
Kiwi shoe polish makes a suede cleaner/polish. I would check them out and see if that would protect the suede in bad weather. I have always loved real leather boots, as I learned to care for them with Kiwi polish and a shoe shine brush.
Karen (via Facebook)
Be Sure to Waterproof Suede Boots
Suede boots are best maintained if they are waterproofed. There are commercial waterproofing products available and also "recipes" for making your own waterproofing solution on the web. Just search for "waterproofing suede boots."
After wearing your boots, it is also wise to brush them with a suede brush to remove any loose soil.
I recommend not wearing suede boots in wet conditions, but waterproof them just in case.
Barbara in CT
Petroleum Jelly for Suede
I, too, bought a pair of suede boots last year. The sale price was too good to pass up. I didn't have any boots and was tired of having my feet soaked as I slogged through the snow. I got a $4 can of waterproofing spray and applied three coats of it to each boot. They held up great during the winter and still look great!
My sister later told me that she uses petroleum jelly, rubbing it in until the suede feels like it is dry. She does this each year. Her boots are five years old and look pretty new.
If Wet, Put Newspaper in Boots
The best thing is to get a suede brush. Once they are brushed and clean, apply a suede spray to help them be waterproof. Keeping newspaper inside of the boots if they get wet helps keep their shape as well. Brush off any salt when they are dry before wearing again to maintain the life of the suede.
Judy in NY
Take the Next Step:
- For more on how to clean suede boots and other clothing items, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Library.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 'Foodie' birthday party ideas
- 8 ways to beat retail therapy
- 6 steps to a romantic fall picnic
- Keeping family and friends entertained at holiday gatherings
- Homemade bubble bath gifts
- How to quit your day job for your dream job
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 6 reasons why it's dumb to buy a smartphone
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke