Keep your suede boots looking good all winter
How to Care for Suede Boots
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Caring for Suede
How to Waterproof Suede
These Boots Are Made for Walking
How to Care for Suede Boots
At the end of last winter, I bought this great pair of suede boots. I want to wear them often, but I'm concerned how they'll hold up to snow, slush, and road salts. Can anyone suggest how to care for my suede boots, so they continue to look good?
Find a Good Suede Cleaner/Polish
Kiwi shoe polish makes a suede cleaner/polish. I would check them out and see if that would protect the suede in bad weather. I have always loved real leather boots, as I learned to care for them with Kiwi polish and a shoe shine brush.
Karen (via Facebook)
Be Sure to Waterproof Suede Boots
Suede boots are best maintained if they are waterproofed. There are commercial waterproofing products available and also "recipes" for making your own waterproofing solution on the web. Just search for "waterproofing suede boots."
After wearing your boots, it is also wise to brush them with a suede brush to remove any loose soil.
I recommend not wearing suede boots in wet conditions, but waterproof them just in case.
Barbara in CT
Petroleum Jelly for Suede
I, too, bought a pair of suede boots last year. The sale price was too good to pass up. I didn't have any boots and was tired of having my feet soaked as I slogged through the snow. I got a $4 can of waterproofing spray and applied three coats of it to each boot. They held up great during the winter and still look great!
My sister later told me that she uses petroleum jelly, rubbing it in until the suede feels like it is dry. She does this each year. Her boots are five years old and look pretty new.
see The Ultimate Green Store - your one-stop green shopping destination
If Wet, Put Newspaper in Boots
The best thing is to get a suede brush. Once they are brushed and clean, apply a suede spray to help them be waterproof. Keeping newspaper inside of the boots if they get wet helps keep their shape as well. Brush off any salt when they are dry before wearing again to maintain the life of the suede.
Judy in NY
Take the Next Step:
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Trending on TDS
- Saving on a new bike
- The least frugal way to buy software
- Creative, frugal ways to show a sick friend you care
- Budget-friendly ways to fight hair frizz
- Creating an outdoor oasis on the cheap
- Homemade bath salts
- On sale in August: From tools to back-to-school
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 5 reasons to skip an all-inclusive vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Gain more by spending less