Making your driveway look clean and new again
How to Clean Cement Driveways
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Gearing Up for Summer
Cleaning an Asphalt Driveway
Cleaning a Greasy Driveway
How to Clean Cement Driveways
My cement driveway has picked up a lot of stains (mostly oil drips). What's the best way to clean a cement driveway? I'd like to do it as easy and inexpensively as possible.
Soak the stains with Dawn dish detergent for a few hours. Rinse and repeat.
Michelle (via Facebook)
Solution is Quick, Easy and Cheap!
When I worked at a drive-in restaurant, we had this problem. The solution was simple. Sprinkle some cheap clay-based kitty litter on the spot. Wear old shoes. Let it sit for a bit and then rub it in with the toe/ball of your foot. Sweep it up. The oil spot should be gone. If it is not, sprinkle it again and rub with your toe until the spot is gone. It is quick, easy, and cheap.
Ask Your Mechanic
When the concrete floor of my carport was stained with oil, I knew that would get me in trouble with the landlord. When I took my leaky old car in for repairs, I asked the mechanic what to do. He was nice enough to help me. He filled an old can with some special powder he uses in his business. It is designed to soak up oil spills, and then you sweep it away. You can follow up with a blast from your water hose. I don't know what the product was called, but it worked great! The landlord never found out about the mess. I bet your local auto mechanic shop can tell you what they use and where to get it. Also, I've heard that cat litter works, but I've never tried it.
Clean with Pressure Washer
We've had a lot of luck with a pressure washer. It works wonders on our cement driveway!
See My Cleaning Products for green cleaning solutions.
Cat Litter Works Wonders
Cleaning concrete driveways is always a chore unless you get to it fast. Try using TSP, found in the paint section of Home depot or your paint store. Mix it with water, make a paste, and apply it to the oil. Let it stand there for a while and then use a power washer to blast it off. In the future, if you find that a car leaked oil, quickly go out and spread cat litter on it to soak it up. You can also ask your leaking car friends or family to park on the street instead of your driveway.
Take the Next Step:
- For more on cleaning your home's exterior, visit The Dollar Stretcher Library.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?