What's the best way to stretch ground beef?
How to Stretch Ground Beef
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
What's Your Beef?
Cheap and Delicious Hamburger
Makes a Million Meals Meat Sauce
Add Grated Potato to Stretch Ground Beef
I add grated potato to hamburger for Mexican dishes. It makes great tacos and chili.
TVP Is a Great Addition
I use TVP (textured vegetable protein). It is dried soy and takes on the taste of whatever I cook with it. Also, I add some dry oats, along with grated carrots, celery, onion, and green bell pepper.
Looks Just Like Ground Beef
I cook bulgur wheat with water and add it to sloppy joes, chili, Spanish rice, etc. When I use it in a tomato dish, it looks just like ground beef.
Is It Meatloaf or a Burger?
For years, I followed my mother's example of stretching ground beef by adding dry oatmeal and an egg if I was going to make meat patties. I would fine chop onion and sometimes add green peppers or celery as well as throwing in an adequate amount of seasoning. My son would tease me about my "meatloaf" burgers, but I have found these burgers to be easier to digest than pure meat.
Puree Veggies First
I find the best way to disguise veggies in ground beef is to puree them in the food processor. This works even better than grating. I put in a cup or more of cabbage, carrots, peppers, broccoli stems, celery, etc. in as I start to cook the meat. I usually also add half of a cup of filler like precooked lentils, kasha, quinoa, rice, or ground up beans. I often boil up this mix and put one cup containers in the freezer for those busy nights when we just have crumbled ground beef for tacos or shepherd's pie. I usually have double the amount of meat mixture when I'm done. My family loves to eat meat, so this is a great way to stretch it. Add a little beef soup base to salt the meat and strengthen the flavor.
A Good Way to Use Stale Bread
I add stale bread, torn into small bits, mixed with an egg and spices to stretch ground beef. This makes great burgers, and I get double the material. It's terrific for meatballs, meatloaf, etc.
Buy groceries, earn cash back at Checkout 51
Healthy Way to Stretch Ground Beef
I mix fresh ground turkey and ground beef in equal amounts. It's better for our health, and it tastes good, too.
Take the Next Step:
- For more on buying meat and poultry, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Library .
- Visit The Dollar Stretcher Library for more frugal ways to make the most of food.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit our Pinterest board for Recipes to Fit Any Budget.
Discuss "Stretching Ground Beef" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Food & Groceries
- 9 secrets to making groceries last longer
- 7 restaurant tricks you shouldn't fall for
- 7 frugal ways to save money on groceries
- Savings challenge: Create a weekly dinner menu
- What to do when you've burned dinner
- How to prevent freezer burn
- Munch on brunch Video
- How a full pantry saves money
- Throw a thrifty tailgate party
- Save money and eat healthier with bean cuisine