7 ways to make your ad pop
Writing a Craigslist Ad That Sells
by Brittney Walker
The Price Was Right
How Do You Price Books to Sell Online?
Selling Items on eBay
Craigslist is by far the easiest (and cheapest) way to sell all that junk cluttering your house. It's as simple as posting a listing for the item(s) you are trying to sell, and then waiting for the responses to come flooding in. The hardest part for new users is figuring out how to write the post.
Most people don't realize that to get the most out of your ad, you must think like a buyer when you write your ad. If you were looking to buy this item, what would you want to know about it before taking the time to email the owner? If you were a buyer, would you even take the time to reply to an ad that didn't tell you anything about the item?
It's very important to include at minimum, the following in your ad:
Buyers want to know how much you are asking for your item before they take the time to email you, or even open your ad, because if you're asking too much, they don't want to waste their time with you. Make sure that you have the price clearly listed in the ad as well as on the space near the top, where you are allowed to share your price next to your listing title.
Your potential customers want to make sure that they are getting what they want and need. If you have a pretty beat up iPhone, describe its condition as well as possible. For electronics, make sure that you note any problems it may have. By doing this, you'll find the right buyer that will not want to return the item after purchase.
3. Model # (if applicable)
Having a model number in your listing is super important if your item does have a model number. Some people may be searching for that exact model to replace or repair their own. Maybe they want it to add to a collection. There are also re-sellers on craigslist. They want to know the item model number so that they can check it out online to see if they can make a profit off it.
Whether you're selling clothes, phones, shoes, or furniture, brand is always important to have in your listing. Brand-picky people will pay extra for items if they are a name brand, even if there's another item just like it for less. If you have a nice brand name item, tell the brand name in the title as well as the listing.
Craigslist gives you a textbox to write your location, so use it. Say your city, not the region. People want to make sure that you're not too far away before they email you about something. In your ad, try to be descriptive with your location without giving away your address. Maybe give a zip code or a local landmark?
This one is especially important. Buyers want to know what they are buying before they buy it. Tell as much as you can about the item, including color, style, etc.
If you're listing DVDs or something like that, you don't usually need pictures. For most everything else, pictures are a necessity. It can show buyers more about your item than words can. Some people only search listings with pictures, so having a picture increases your chances of being seen.
Take the Next Step
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- How to become a millionaire in 7 easy (hah!) steps
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- 10 places to look for $500 in savings
Here are 10 ways to save $500 for when you drive, eat or travel.
- 9 savvy strategies to save for a rainy-day fund
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Helping elderly parents organize must-have financial paperwork and information Expert Interview
- How a single mom can create multiple income streams
- Turning your hobby into extra income
- Basic finance management for teens
- Positioning yourself for career advancement
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates