Stylish for less
Finding Plus Sized Teen Girls' Clothing
by Dollar Stretcher Contributors
Converting the Female Teen Diva
Plus Size Teen Fashions
Teen Clothing Allowance
Finding Plus Sized Teen Girls' Clothing
My daughter is 13 and is starting to get style conscious. That would be enough of a challenge for this single mom, but she also needs plus size clothes. Can anyone point me to affordable places for us to shop for her outfits?
Find Stylish and Affordable Clothing
Old Navy (online only) and JCPenney both have stylish and affordable plus size tween/teen clothing.
Christy (via Facebook)
Shop Gordmans for Plus Sized Teen Girls' Clothing
My teen daughter is also plus sized. We have found that Gordmans has a teen plus size section. Now she can fit comfortably in clothes and look stylish at a reasonable cost!
Shop Woman Within
Woman Within is a reasonably-priced catalog and online source for plus-size women's clothing. While they do have some matronly clothes, they also have a wide variety of all-age basics like tees, jeans and leggings. They also have cute, stylish tops and dresses that would be teen-appropriate, along with undergarments, shoes, outerwear and sleepwear. I've been a happy, satisfied customer for many years.
Watch Thrift Stores for Plus Sized Teen Girls' Clothing
Try Ross Dress for Less and also local thrift stores. Most thrift stores have a section for plus size clothing and I often find cute stuff there. I would recommend getting a few nice basics like skinny jeans, bootleg jeans, etc., and then adding in some cheaper tops and accessories. Check with your local thrift stores about their sales too. Our local one has all clothing half off on Saturdays. Also, you can get awesome summer clearance at the end of fall and amazing winter clearance in the spring.
What Teen Girl Doesn't Love Forever 21?
Forever 21 has great sales for plus size girls and they are very good at offering very stylish clothing in plus sizes.
Find Plus Sized Teen Girls' Clothing Online
Try thredUP.com for less expensive clothing for children, teens, and women. They sell high-end used clothes. Everything I have purchased from them has been in great condition.
Find the Cutest Clothes Here
Check out Simply Be. They have the cutest clothes!
Don't Give Up if Not in Stores
Unfortunately, most of the larger stores that teens like carry only sizes that are small in the stores, but online they carry larger sizes. Some of these stores are Victoria Secret and Delias. So if you cannot find the size you need locally, try online. Try to keep your daughter with a positive body image. My 13-year old-daughter has a curvy figure, but junior clothing is cut for straight figures.
Keep Your Eye on the Clearance
H & M has great plus size stuff for teens. Torrid has great stuff as well. It has slightly higher prices but keep an eye on the clearance stuff on the web. I sure wish these had existed when I was going through that problem!
Competitive Prices, Trendy Items
The plus-size store Avenue is where I find all of my trendy items. They have a section dedicated to $6.99 to $9.99 out-of-season items. After the holidays, I've scored camisoles for as little as $3.99 and jeans for $9.99, which is unheard of when you consider their closest competitor's sale price is $59.99.
For basics, I found a consignment shop in my area that specializes in plus-sizes. The prices are affordable and they have a different sale almost every weekend.
Online Consignment Store for Baby & Kids Items and Women's Apparel
Internet Has Opened Endless Possibilities
When I was younger, I had the same issues. There were no good options. Fortunately, the internet has opened up endless possibilities. Some stores, like Old Navy, offer sizes that are not in the store. Plus, there are many others. Have your daughter search or search with her.
Take the Next Step:
- Visit the TDS library for more on buying clothing for children and teens.
- It's tough raising kids today! You need every time and money saving idea you can find. That's why you'll want to get our free weekly Dollar Stretcher for Parents newsletter. You'll find great ideas designed just for parents that will help your family 'live better...for less'! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Find more tips for frugal families on Pinterest. Visit our Frugal Family board.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 12 best bargains for shoppers in April
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 8 habits that plug parental spending leaks
- 3 great low-cost summer activities with kids
- Keeping your pet out of the economic doghouse
- Frugal living ideas for large families Readers' Solutions
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator