10 Things You Don't Want to Get Caught Doing in Your Bathroom
by Shari Smith
Cheap Bathroom Fix Ups for Any Family
Less Expensive Hair Care Products
Homemade Natural Sink and Shower Cleanser
Don't worry; we won't be discussing the removal of unwanted hair. No, I'm talking about the nasty habit of washing money down the drain by the choices you make. Here are ten budget-busting things you don't want to get caught doing in your bathroom:
- Paying too much for TP. We all need it, but toilet paper can absorb a large chunk of the budget. Give store brands a try. They can be priced 50% less than the national brands. Watch for coupons and sales and ractice price matching to keep costs down.
- Buy a different cleaner for every surface in your bathroom. Instead of harboring a miniature chemical factory in your bathroom, try using natural ingredients to make homemade cleaners, like baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. You'll save a lot of green and the environment, too.
- Ignore the exhaust fan. Besides being a dust magnet, the fan serves an important function, namely keeping the humidity down. Too much moisture builds up and can cause mold, wood rot, and all sorts of other problems. Using the fan every time you shower or take a bath is a good habit to get into.
- Stay stuck in the 1980s. If your bathroom decor leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth, reach for a paint brush. Paint is the easiest and least expensive way to transform a dated room into a showstopper. Pick a color that you like or to enhance a mood. Lavender and pale blue tones are soothing, while brighter colors and tones can wake up your senses.
- Spend a fortune getting the luxury bathroom you want. First, consider how long you'll be in your home. Renovating too extravagantly can backfire in resale value, as you will only get back about 64% of your costs. Keep it more neutral if you are planning on moving soon.
- Pay hundreds of dollars for a fancy shower curtain. You can easily make your own shower curtain with a pretty sheet for a fraction of the cost. Just clip shower rings to the sheet with a protective clear plastic curtain on the inside for just a $1 at a dollar store.
- Drown in debt for a miracle skin cream. Lotion is all about hydrating the skin. Those anti-aging creams that claim to take decades off are mostly marketing and huge mark ups. Read the ingredient list and look for a similar product. I've used Vaseline(r) brand lotion for many years for huge savings. Look on the very top and bottom shelves for the cheaper products that are just as effective.
- Wash, rinse, repeat. Shampoos and conditioners can be another huge drain on your budget. By watching for sales at drugstores and discount places, you can even get them free with coupons and reward points. A dollar store is another great place to pick up hair products, as the bottles are usually much bigger than other retail outlets.
- Ignore a leaky faucet or running toilet. This can cost big bucks on your water bill or a costly visit from a plumber. Most problems can be fixed by figuring out the problem yourself and running to a home improvement store like Lowes. They have trained staff that can give you hints for free and help you find the exact part you need at a fraction of the cost.
- Deck out your bathroom with expensive new towels and rugs. Watch for "white sales" to pick up pretty towels and matching rugs for a huge discount, typically in the spring. Also keep an eye on clearance racks for bargains any time of the year. Sticking with one color makes it easy to mix and match.
Bathrooms are the busiest and hardest working room in the house. Make your bathroom into a relaxing retreat without wasting money by avoiding these ten things you don't want to get caught doing in your bathroom.
Take the Next Step:
- Visit the TDS library for frugal ways to decorate your bathroom.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?