Feeding Fido for less!
Saving on Dog Food
by Alison Wood
Homemade Dog Food
Generic Dog Food
Money Saving for Dog Lovers
Just recently I began to wonder how I could cut back on our dog food budget. Seriously, our family has a budget for everything, including dog food, but I love learning new ways to give us extra wiggle room so we can invest money into a different area that could use a little bit of padding.
Here are some ways you and I can save on our pet food and have more money to use for groceries, school bills, or any other areas of our budget where things are getting a little tight.
- Make homemade dog food. This is a gimme, isn't it? But yet, so many of us just don't do it. I know the main reason I don't is because of time. I really don't want to be cooking some grub for my German Shepherd. I like the "pour and go" kind of deal. But, since it is definitely a money-saver, we do make homemade food sometimes. We don't do this exclusively, since we still love the convenience, but when things are tight, our dog gets chicken with rice soups and all other kind of homemade goodies! Make sure you do some research on how to safely make dog food, as there are certain foods that can affect your dog's health. We stay away from onions, chocolate and spices.
- Get social! If you're like me and love the convenience of store-bought pet food, then you should take time to follow large brands on social media. Many times, they will offer great coupons and even giveaways or samples. So if you've never been social before, get started now!
- Scour the web. Lots of frugal living websites offer printable coupons. Just click and print a few coupons before you head to the store to rack up on some savings!
- Buy in bulk. Check out your bulk stores for great deals on pet food, but be sure to store pet food in a waterproof container instead of the bag. It will keep your pet food safe from moisture that can cause the pet food to become moldy and useless. I found this one out from experience!
- Buy pet food online. What can be easier than a few clicks to have your pet food delivered to your doorstep? Amazon offers great deals on pet food, and if you sign up to have your pet food regularly delivered, you can often get larger discounts and free shipping. It's a win-win situation for our family!
Alison Wood is a writer for several online parenting resources, a missionary in Southeast Asia, mom to six kiddos and blogs about parenting, pregnancy and frugal living at Pint-Sized Treasures. Visit Alison on Google+.
Take the Next Step:
- Use your savings to buy your pet a toy! PetSupplies.com is truly a one stop shop for pet owners and animal lovers.
- Visit the TDS library for more money-saving dog care tips.
- Your pet won't mind if you save a few dollars! Visit our Pet Care for Pennies Pinterest board.
Discuss "Homemade Pet Food" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in September
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
Rehab your poor financial habits before tackling the bad behavior of your kids.
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Get your kids involved with their school lunches
- 6 ways work-at-home moms can find temporary childcare
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Simple recipes for picky eaters? Video
- Financial tips for your college-bound student
- The perks of part-time work
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator