Feeding Fido for less!
Saving on Dog Food
by Alison Wood
Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Generic Dog Foods vs. Name Brand
Durable Dog Chews
Just recently I began to wonder how I could cut back on our dog food budget. Seriously, our family has a budget for everything, including dog food, but I love learning new ways to give us extra wiggle room so we can invest money into a different area that could use a little bit of padding.
Here are some ways you and I can save on our pet food and have more money to use for groceries, school bills, or any other areas of our budget where things are getting a little tight.
- Make homemade dog food. This is a gimme, isn't it? But yet, so many of us just don't do it. I know the main reason I don't is because of time. I really don't want to be cooking some grub for my German Shepherd. I like the "pour and go" kind of deal. But, since it is definitely a money-saver, we do make homemade food sometimes. We don't do this exclusively, since we still love the convenience, but when things are tight, our dog gets chicken with rice soups and all other kind of homemade goodies! Make sure you do some research on how to safely make dog food, as there are certain foods that can affect your dog's health. We stay away from onions, chocolate and spices.
- Get social! If you're like me and love the convenience of store-bought pet food, then you should take time to follow large brands on social media. Many times, they will offer great coupons and even giveaways or samples. So if you've never been social before, get started now!
- Scour the web. Lots of frugal living websites offer printable coupons. Just click and print a few coupons before you head to the store to rack up on some savings!
- Buy in bulk. Check out your bulk stores for great deals on pet food, but be sure to store pet food in a waterproof container instead of the bag. It will keep your pet food safe from moisture that can cause the pet food to become moldy and useless. I found this one out from experience!
- Buy pet food online. What can be easier than a few clicks to have your pet food delivered to your doorstep? Amazon offers great deals on pet food, and if you sign up to have your pet food regularly delivered, you can often get larger discounts and free shipping. It's a win-win situation for our family!
Can't afford a pro? Give do-it-yourself dog grooming a try.
Reviewed May 2017
Alison Wood is a writer for several online parenting resources, a missionary in Southeast Asia, mom to six kiddos and blogs about parenting, pregnancy and frugal living at Pint-Sized Treasures. Visit Alison on Google+.
Take the Next Step:
- See if one of these pet loyalty programs can save you money.
- Stop overpaying for your pet's medications. See how much 1-800-PetMeds can help you save.
- Don't let your pets take such a bite out of your budget! The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Frugal Pet Care can show you smart ways to love your pet while spending less.
- Join those who 'live better...for less' - Subscribe to The Dollar Stretcher newsletter, a weekly look at how to stretch both your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.