Feeding Fido for less!
Saving on Dog Food
by Alison Wood
Homemade Dog Food
Generic Dog Food
Durable Dog Chews
Just recently I began to wonder how I could cut back on our dog food budget. Seriously, our family has a budget for everything, including dog food, but I love learning new ways to give us extra wiggle room so we can invest money into a different area that could use a little bit of padding.
Here are some ways you and I can save on our pet food and have more money to use for groceries, school bills, or any other areas of our budget where things are getting a little tight.
- Make homemade dog food. This is a gimme, isn't it? But yet, so many of us just don't do it. I know the main reason I don't is because of time. I really don't want to be cooking some grub for my German Shepherd. I like the "pour and go" kind of deal. But, since it is definitely a money-saver, we do make homemade food sometimes. We don't do this exclusively, since we still love the convenience, but when things are tight, our dog gets chicken with rice soups and all other kind of homemade goodies! Make sure you do some research on how to safely make dog food, as there are certain foods that can affect your dog's health. We stay away from onions, chocolate and spices.
- Get social! If you're like me and love the convenience of store-bought pet food, then you should take time to follow large brands on social media. Many times, they will offer great coupons and even giveaways or samples. So if you've never been social before, get started now!
- Scour the web. Lots of frugal living websites offer printable coupons. Just click and print a few coupons before you head to the store to rack up on some savings!
- Buy in bulk. Check out your bulk stores for great deals on pet food, but be sure to store pet food in a waterproof container instead of the bag. It will keep your pet food safe from moisture that can cause the pet food to become moldy and useless. I found this one out from experience!
- Buy pet food online. What can be easier than a few clicks to have your pet food delivered to your doorstep? Amazon offers great deals on pet food, and if you sign up to have your pet food regularly delivered, you can often get larger discounts and free shipping. It's a win-win situation for our family!
Can't afford a pro? Give do-it-yourself dog grooming a try.
Alison Wood is a writer for several online parenting resources, a missionary in Southeast Asia, mom to six kiddos and blogs about parenting, pregnancy and frugal living at Pint-Sized Treasures. Visit Alison on Google+.
Take the Next Step:
- Be sure to save on your online holiday shopping! Receive cash back on your purchases when you use the ebates cash back site.
- Visit the TDS library for more money-saving dog care tips.
- Your pet won't mind if you save a few dollars! Visit our Pet Care for Pennies Pinterest board.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
We're still paying off last Christmas and worry how we'll afford the holidays this year without charging it again! Tell us: Yes, we could use help getting out of the debt trap we're in! or No, debt is not a problem for us but I'm always looking for ways to trim my family's expenses further!
Money-Saving Tools for Families
Trending This Week
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Is the economy killing fatherhood?
- How much does the Tooth Fairy leave at your house?
- Teaching kids how to do basic home repairs
- Finding new childcare solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips