Growing older doesn't mean you have to lose your looks!
Natural Beauty Secrets for Women In Their 50s
by Jan Roland
Beauty and the "Boomer Babe"
Financial Advice for Women in Their 50s
DIY Anti-Aging Beauty Recipes
Low Cost Fitness in Retirement
How can you maintain your natural beauty as you enter middle age? It's a question that many women want to know. So we asked Sandy DeRose, the author of www.antiagenaturally.com, to help us with the secrets of how women in their 50s can maintain their beauty naturally.
Q. When most people think of beauty tips, they think of lotions to apply to their face and bodies. You tend to think more about changing what's inside our bodies. Why is that?
Ms. DeRose: Because a good anti-aging beauty regimen starts from within. When you give your body the nutrients it needs, your blood cells are happy and it shows on the outside. Also, when you are eating a diet that is healthy, with no sugary or fried foods, your skin will be free from blemishes and glow. Getting proper nutrients also helps restore collagen, which keeps your skin youthful.
Q. What's the most important secret for a woman in her 50s to maintain healthy skin?
Ms. DeRose: The most important thing a woman can do for healthy skin is daily exfoliation all over, not just the face.
Q. Dry skin seems to be a problem, especially as we age. What can be done to prevent dry skin?
Ms. DeRose: There are a few things you can do. Take a good fish oil and vitamin E daily. Drink plenty of water. When moisturizing, use natural oils like coconut, grape seed, or olive oil. Stay away from store-bought body lotions because most of them, while they feel like they are working, are actually causing dry skin.
Q. Many women have hair problems as they get into their 50s. Are there secrets to keep hair from thinning and losing its luster?
Ms. DeRose: Thinning hair is a problem once we reach our 40s. Every decade after our 40s, we lose 10% of our hair. Making sure to get regular haircuts will help eliminate some hair loss, but also supplementing with saw palmetto and pumpkin-seed oil can help you hold onto your locks while putting the shine back. If this doesn't work, check with your doctor because there could be a medical condition, a change in hormones, or medication that could be causing dull, falling hair.
Q. Many people in their 50s have been living with stress for years. Short of dropping out, is there anything that they can do to reduce the effects of stress in their lives?
Ms. DeRose: There are so many supplements and techniques you can use to minimize stress. I think the most important thing is to make sure you take all of the B vitamins, including folic acid, daily. Also, SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine), a supplement, can help reduce stress.
Get a little sunlight every day. Letting the sun hit your iris for even 40 seconds can increase your serotonin (feel-good hormone) levels. When you feel good, you can handle stress better.
Lastly, it's a good idea daily, even for just a few minutes, to deep breathe and exhale the stress.
One of the most important ingredients for a comfortable retirement is to be debt free when you retire.
Will debt derail your retirement?
Q. Is there one secret that you'd like every women over 50 to know about maintaining her beauty naturally?
Ms. DeRose: Since you want me to boil it down to one, I have to say you should take a quality fish oil that is high in DHA every day. It is the most important thing you can do for your skin, hair, bones, brain, and heart. It'll keep everything good on the inside, so your natural beauty will shine on the outside.
There you have it! The secret of beauty on the outside is keeping naturally healthy on the inside.
editor's note: Be sure to check appropriate amounts before adding anything to your diet or lifestyle.
Reviewed March 2017
Take the Next Step:
- Get The Anti-Aging Secrets of Hollywood book.
- Stop forgoing your favorite beauty treatments just because you're on a tight budget. Check out the TDS Guide to Beauty on a Budget and learn the tricks to pampering yourself for pennies.
- Subscribe to After 50 Finances. You've learned how to work smarter, not harder. This weekly newsletter is dedicated to people just like you. Subscribers get a FREE copy of our After 50 Finances Pre-Retirement Checklist, a list of everything you need to do to be ready for retirement.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Baby Boomer Tools & Resources
- A tool to determine the best time to take Social Security benefits
- Get out of debt before you retire
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Retirement shortfall calculator
- Life expectancy calculator
- IRA required minimum distribution calculator
- More retirement planning calculators
Trending in Baby Boomers
- Investing retirement money that you may never need
- Financial tips when nearing retirement
- Why pay off your mortgage with a reverse mortgage loan?
- 3 ways retirees can tap into their home equity
- Starting a business in retirement
- What retirees need to know about powers of attorney
- A reverse mortgage for home maintenance?
- Downsize without guilt
- This week's Readers' Tips