Steps you can take to make sure a large medical bill does not damage your credit
Minimizing Credit Damage from an Overdue Medical Bill
interview by Gary Foreman
Paying for a Medical Emergency
In Critical Condition
Can't Afford the Emergency Room Bill
More than 1 in 10 consumers struggle with medical debt and the damage it can do to your credit score. On this Dollar Stretcher Interview, we talk with Gerri Detweiler, the director of consumer education for Credit.com, about what consumers need to do to minimize the damage to their credit from an overdue medical account.
Take the Next Step
- Don't let your finances end up in the emergency room. Here are 10 ways to deal with an expensive emergency room bill.
- Take The Dollar Stretcher's free Get Out of Debt course and begin the journey to financial freedom!
- Stop struggling to get ahead financially. Subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
I often wonder if I should be seeking professional help to get my debt under control! Tell us: Yes, I'd like to find out if I am a good candidate for credit counseling or No, I don't think I need couseling but I would like to find out how I can pay off my credit cards more quickly.
More Debt Tips & Tools
- 6 smart strategies for paying off your credit cards
- 5 great second jobs to bring in extra cash
- Pay down debt now or save: Here's how to choose
- Can I get a debt consolidation loan with bad credit?
- I stopped going to college but they want me to keep paying my student loan
- Cutting the burn during tough times
- Digging your way out of a financial hole
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Am I a good candidate for credit counseling?
- Do I have a debt problem?
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Calculate the real cost of your debt
- Reduce credit card debt calculator
- Debt pay-down calculator
- Calculate the true cost of paying just the minimum