See how you can possibly get paid to wait to collect Social Security benefits
Maximizing Social Security with the Spousal Benefit
interview by Gary Foreman
Did you know that Social Security will actually pay you while you wait until age 70 to collect benefits? On The Dollar Stretcher Interview, Brian Doherty of GettingPaidToWait.com tells us how to possibly get a Social Security check before we officially start to collect benefits, as well as a strategy for getting the largest possible check, regardless of whether we are married, divorced or widowed.
Editor's note: Due to the signing of the Bipartisan Act of 2015 on November 2,2015, Social Security spousal benefits will no longer be available to those turning 62 after January 1, 2016.
Brian Doherty consults and speaks on Social Security issues. He's the author of Getting Paid to Wait: Bigger Social Security Benefits - The Simple and Easy Way. Visit him and check out his book at GettingPaidToWait.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Use this tool to maximize your retirement by determining the best age to take your Social Security benefits. Don't leave thousands on the table by taking Social Security at the wrong time.
- Subscribe to After 50 Finances. You've learned how to work smarter, not harder. This weekly newsletter is dedicated to people just like you. Subscribers get a FREE copy of our After 50 Finances Pre-Retirement Checklist, a list of everything you need to do to be ready for retirement.
- Find information geared specifically for Baby Boomers in The Dollar Stretcher section dedicated to your financial issues. If you're over 50 your financial needs are different. And so are your questions.
- Could you be getting a bigger social security check each month?
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt is preventing me from saving as much for retirement as I should be! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save for retirement and I could use help dealing with it! or No, debt is not a problem but I'd love to discover more ways to save as I head into retirement!
Baby Boomer Tools & Resources
Trending in Baby Boomers
- 6 good reasons to put an annuity in your 401(k) or IRA
- 6 great reasons to use Social Security's website
- 6 ways to receive your payouts from an adjustable-rate reverse mortgage loan
- Pros and cons of saving for retirement through your state
- choosing the right retirement community for yourself or your parents
- What you need to know about Medicare coverage for inpatient stays
- Turning your home into a bed & breakfast
- This week's Readers' Tips