Lace up your Silver Sneakers
Special Fitness Deals for Those Over 65
by Debra Karplus
Your Strengths Don't Retire When You Do
Is Downsizing In Retirement Right for You?
Are You Prepared? A Pre-Retirement Checklist
Working out at home just doesn't do it for you, and you've called around and found memberships to be prohibitively expensive at most of the local fitness centers. But, being over 65 years old just became more attractive; you've discovered that you are now eligible for the Silver Sneakers program. The Silver Sneakers program, www.silversneakers.com, is a wonderful way for seniors to become physically fit and stay that way in a healthy, social, and fun way with some special activities and events designed exclusively for older adults. Typically, there is no cost to join a fitness center as part of the Silver Sneakers program.
If you check out the Silver Sneakers website, you'll quickly learn that there are over 13,000 facilities around the United States that are now part of this exercise program for seniors, and the number is ever increasing. That averages out to about 260 per state! For example, Champaign, Illinois, a Midwestern college town located in the middle of the state with a population of about 81,000, now has eight fitness facilities that are currently part of the Silver Sneakers program. Whether it's cardiovascular exercise, weight training for muscle strengthening, an exercise or lap swimming pool, group fitness classes like Pilatesor yoga, you are very likely to have access to a Silver Sneakers facility close to your home.
How does a senior get involved with the Silver Sneakers program?
The first step is contact your Medicare insurance provider to make sure you are specifically covered to be in Silver Sneakers. Your policy may not mention Silver Sneakers, so you need to ask. Once you have established that you are eligible, you will want to look on the Silver Sneakers website to see which gyms have the Silver Sneakers program near you. You may be surprised at the many that do, such as the popular workout spot Curves or at some of the YMCAs.
Once you have identified places where you can exercise, you need to decide what exercise programs, facilities, and equipment appeal to you. Maybe you want a place with generous hours (early morning including Sunday or late in the evening or holidays) or a spot that caters more to seniors than to families or children. Or possibly yoga is your passion. If a whirlpool or a steam room appeals to you, then look for places that have these amenities. Do make a point of touring several facilities before you join one.
What are some other perks of the Silver Sneakers program?
Depending on your Medicare insurance coverage and the facility that you join, you may have access to other services at a discounted rate or possibly even free. A brochure from one facility lists as some of their benefits a free orientation session with a personal trainer and discounts on subsequent sessions and also reduced prices for therapeutic massages at the facility.
Perhaps sometime in the not-so-distant future, insurance companies providing coverage to folks under 65 years old will realize the cost effectiveness of wellness plans, including exercise programs such as the Silver Sneakers program, to promote physical and emotional well-being and consequently reduce illness and frequent doctor visits. For now, older adults have a wonderful opportunity available to them to help them stay healthy.
Reviewed July 2017
Debra is an occupational therapist, accountant, teacher and freelance writer. She is a writer for Advance for Occupational Therapy Practitioners. She also writes for Grand Magazine, has some items (fiction and non fiction) selling on Amazon.com (kindle), has written several travel articles for the Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette and several articles for freelancewriting.com and volunteers as a money mentor for the university of illinois cooperative extension money mentoring program. Learn more about her at DebraKarplus.blogspot.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Stay in shape for less with these low cost fitness tips for boomers.
- Determine if debt could derail your retirement and what you can do about it now. Our checklist can help you. Afterall, one of the most important ingredients for a comfortable retirement is to be debt free when you retire.
- Visit the TDS library for more on life during retirement.
- Subscribe to After 50 Finances. You've learned how to work smarter, not harder. This weekly newsletter is dedicated to people just like you. Subscribers get a FREE copy of our After 50 Finances Pre-Retirement Checklist, a list of everything you need to do to be ready for retirement.
Baby Boomer Tools & Resources
- A tool to determine the best time to take Social Security benefits
- Get out of debt before you retire
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Retirement shortfall calculator
- Life expectancy calculator
- IRA required minimum distribution calculator
- More retirement planning calculators
Trending in Baby Boomers
- Investing retirement money that you may never need
- Financial tips when nearing retirement
- Why pay off your mortgage with a reverse mortgage loan?
- 3 ways retirees can tap into their home equity
- 2 reasons to collect Social Security benefits as soon as possible
- Talking to aging parents about finances
- Should you create a trust?
- Budget friendly ways to turn back the clock
- This week's Readers' Tips