Make sure they have what they need to settle your estate
Important Papers to Get Organized for Your Heirs
interview by Gary Foreman
Estate Planning Decisions We All Need to Make
Estate Planning for the Soon to Be Retired
Choosing Beneficiaries for Your Retirement Plans
Should You Use a Financial Planner for Retirement Planning?
When it comes to estate planning, if want to ensure your estate goes to whom you'd like it to go to after you have passed, you need to make sure you have the proper documentation organized and accessible to your heirs. In this Dollar Stretcher Interview, financial planner Michelle Perry Higgins explains the importance of assembling your important papers, the documents you should inventory, and the difficulty your family could face trying to settle your estate if these documents are not accessible to them.
Michelle Perry Higgins is a Financial Planner and Principal of California Financial Advisors in San Ramon. Since 1996 she has built a successful practice advising executive professionals into retirement. She has appeared on CNBC and CBS, quoted in Yahoo! Finance, MSN Money, The Los Angeles Times, Examiner.com and is a Wall Street Journal Expert Panelist. Michelle is on the internet at MichellePerryHiggins.com.
Take the Next Step:
- Use this tool to maximize your retirement by determining the best age to take your Social Security benefits. Don't leave thousands on the table by taking Social Security at the wrong time.
- Thinking about your retirement? Then you'll want to calculate your retirement savings and more.
- Find information geared specifically for Baby Boomers in The Dollar Stretcher section dedicated to your financial issues. If you're over 50 your financial needs are different. And so are your questions.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt is preventing me from saving as much for retirement as I should be! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save for retirement and I could use help dealing with it! or No, debt is not a problem but I'd love to discover more ways to save as I head into retirement!
Baby Boomer Tools & Resources
- A tool to determine the best time to take Social Security benefits
- Get out of debt before you retire
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Retirement shortfall calculator
- Life expectancy calculator
- IRA required minimum distribution calculator
- More retirement planning calculators
Trending in Baby Boomers
- Investing retirement money that you may never need
- Financial tips when nearing retirement
- Why pay off your mortgage with a reverse mortgage loan?
- 3 ways retirees can tap into their home equity
- Care for your aging parents in their own home or move them into yours?
- Tax consequences of selling your home in your 50s or 60s
- Nearly retired without savings
- This week's Readers' Tips