Advice from Mom: Everyday Hints
by Rae Osenbaugh
Here's a few everyday "hints" that can help make a household run smoother and more efficiently....
Rubbing alcohol will remove ball-point pen ink marks.
A mixture of half hot vinegar and half salt will clean and polish brass. Just rub it on and polish off.
Put candles in the refrigerator for 24 hours--they will last longer and be less likely to drip.
Ordinary baking soda on a damp cloth will remove grime and grease from the glass on an oven door.
Cold tea, coffee grounds, or egg shells make a good fertilizer for house plants, and can act as an insecticide, too.
"Plant" a few moth balls into the ground around flower beds to keep dogs away.
Rinse your pan with cold water before heating milk in it to prevent scorching and make cleaning easier.
Have a good day, Rae
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?