Advice from Mom: Everyday Hints
by Rae Osenbaugh
Here's a few everyday "hints" that can help make a household run smoother and more efficiently....
Rubbing alcohol will remove ball-point pen ink marks.
A mixture of half hot vinegar and half salt will clean and polish brass. Just rub it on and polish off.
Put candles in the refrigerator for 24 hours--they will last longer and be less likely to drip.
Ordinary baking soda on a damp cloth will remove grime and grease from the glass on an oven door.
Cold tea, coffee grounds, or egg shells make a good fertilizer for house plants, and can act as an insecticide, too.
"Plant" a few moth balls into the ground around flower beds to keep dogs away.
Rinse your pan with cold water before heating milk in it to prevent scorching and make cleaning easier.
Have a good day, Rae
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?