Advice from Mom: Everyday Hints
by Rae Osenbaugh
Here's a few everyday "hints" that can help make a household run smoother and more efficiently....
Rubbing alcohol will remove ball-point pen ink marks.
A mixture of half hot vinegar and half salt will clean and polish brass. Just rub it on and polish off.
Put candles in the refrigerator for 24 hours--they will last longer and be less likely to drip.
Ordinary baking soda on a damp cloth will remove grime and grease from the glass on an oven door.
Cold tea, coffee grounds, or egg shells make a good fertilizer for house plants, and can act as an insecticide, too.
"Plant" a few moth balls into the ground around flower beds to keep dogs away.
Rinse your pan with cold water before heating milk in it to prevent scorching and make cleaning easier.
Have a good day, Rae
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?