Advice From Mom: Plants
by Rae Osenbaugh
I definitely do NOT have a green thumb....I've even had cactus die on me from my neglect. But, I have come up with a list of plants that will survive almost anywhere...
- Aspidistra (cast iron plant): also known as the spittoon plant, is able to survive even the worst neglect imagined.
- Rubber Plant: likes a cool, dimly lit interior area. But, if you do set it in a sunny area, watch out--it will grow like crazy.
- Century (Kentia) Palm: A long-lived, very slow growing plant that needs uniform moisture: an occasional shower will do.
- Nephthytis: Will do well in poor light and neglect....
- Spider Plant: a tough plant that does well in low light and sends out trailing vines all over.
- Corn Plant (dracaena): good for hot, dry apartments.
- Bromelaids: slow growing, but exotic. They like frequent misting, but will put out flowers even in subdued light.
- Philodendrons: this one likes a medium to low light source and an even moisture, but will still survive under more neglectful conditions.
Plants in your home improve the air quality and give a welcoming atmosphere to any living space. When you keep plants that require little or no care you save yourself time and money!
Have a great day!
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?