Advice from Mom: Proper Storage Increases Life of Fresh Vegetables
by Rae Osenbaugh
Keeping Produce Fresh
My Story: Affordable Fruits and Veggies
Improved transportation and storage facilities have made it possible to have many varieties of fresh vegetables available all year. But, once you buy the fresh vegetable, you need to take proper care of it. Here are some of my tips for storing fresh vegetables.
These vegetables should be stored in the refrigerator crisper or in a plastic bag: asparagus, broccoli. Brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, lettuce, greet onion, green peppers, radishes, and spinach.
Vegetables should be put in plastic bags if the crisper is not two-thirds full.
Removing tops from carrots and radishes helps reduce the wilting.
Sweet corn keeps best if refrigerated uncovered in the husks.
Unripe tomatoes can be kept at room temperature out of direct sunlight until they ripen. Ripe tomatoes should be stored uncovered in the refrigerator.
Onions should be kept at room temperature in a loosely woven container, or open mesh container.
Potatoes should be stored at 40-50 degrees in a dark, dry well-ventilated area (remember the old-time cellars?). If kept at room temperature, they should be used in one week.
Remember to get your five servings of fruits & vegetables today!
Have a great day! Rae
Take the Next Step
- Check out our coupon page and save money on your favorite products.
- For all things "Groceries & Food," please visit the Dollar Stretcher library section.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Smart Couponing and Grocery Budgeting
Discuss "Storing Vegetables" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Also in Food & Groceries
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- Easy ways to reduce your grocery bill Video
- Why you should use a pressure cooker
- Easy desserts from your pantry
- Saving on health foods
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- 10 grocery savings secrets from insiders
- 6 tips for frugal grocery shopping
- 3 ways to fight the coupon craze Video