Radiators and Gas Mileage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently had my car's radiator professionally cleaned. It cost about $150. I've been noticing that I get better gas mileage now. Would a clogged radiator cause my car to use more gas?
First, I think that $150 for a "Cleaning" is a bit steep! You can get a new one for that amount... but as to your question, can cleaning your radiator increase your fuel economy, well actually yes! But only by 1 or 2 miles per gallon.
You see on newer cars, everything is controlled by the computer. One of the inputs is actually coolant temperature and the computer actually makes the car run richer if it sees a cool engine. Now, the only way (at this moment, it is kinda early on Sunday morning) I can see is that the temperature sensor was "dirty" and reading low. But it would have to be reading way low not just by 10 or so degrees. The only other thing is that your radiator was soooo dirty that the engine was running way too hot. The overheating situation will also cause you to use more fuel. You didn't tell me what kind of car you are taking about or how much fuel economy increase you realized, but I would go out on a limb and say that it is a 90's car and you only saw about 2 or 3 miles per gallon difference.
One thing to think about, have your driving habits changed? Everyone says "NO", but really think about it. Do you use the same fuel? Have you noticed this difference in more than just one tank full of gas? Let me know, I am interested in this. Here is a note to all of the readers that is thinking about getting a new car. This is NOT an advertisement but just something to think about. IF you are considering getting a 96 Ford Taurus, then get it with the FFV option. If is free and this enables you to run Flexible Fuels. That is what the FFV stands for, Flexible Fuel Vehicle.
Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them
What this means, is that the car is capable of running on gasoline to E- 85 (or M-85). E-85, what is that? That is a mixture of 85% denatured ethanol and gasoline. This fuel is popular in the mid-west. But on the east coast and California, there are other inventors that are developing fuels that are similar in nature, but need a car capable of running this fuel. The special thing about this fuel is that it is somewhere around 60% continually renewable. The other 40% (actually I think the numbers are more like 75% renewable and 25% not) are made for chemicals that are results of other processes that are just thrown away. So if you happen to be in the market for a new car, and are considering the Ford Taurus (for the truck lovers, GM is releasing an S-10 pickup with this option as well), then ask for the FFV option. IT'S FREE (for now)!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Before you buy or sell a vehicle, get all the facts. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
- Are you getting the best auto insurance rate? See how much you could save with one click. Fast, free quotes, online comparisons, and instant access to ID cards!
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?