Advice from Mom: Mom's Hot Chocolate Mix
by Rae Osenbaugh
Cold weather has set in. That means it's time to make the hot chocolate mix. The kids started asking for it the day we returned from Rapid City. They drink it for breakfast before school, and then they have some when they come home from school, too! I put off making it until the weather got cold, and now I have to make one tub every week....One batch makes a full 5 qt. ice cream tub, but I mix it in a separate large bowl to make sure it's mixed good enough.
- 11 cups dry milk (one 8 qt box is just about right)
- 16 oz chocolate mix (Quick, etc.)
- 6 oz coffee creamer (Coffeemate)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients, store in clean 5-qt ice cream tub. Use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of mix in a mug; fill with hot water.
And, if you want something extra special to serve on these cold fall evenings try this:
- 1 elephan
- diced carrots
- 2 rabbits
- diced potatoes
Cut Elephant into bite-sized pieces. It is best to start this one day in advance. Cook at 425 degrees for 4 weeks. Salt and pepper to taste. Add diced potatoes and carrots. This recipe serves 3,798 people. If more are expected, add 1 or 2 rabbits. Add these only if necessary, as some people don't care for hare in their stew.
Have a good day!
Rae is the mother of nine (and grandmother of two) in central Nebraska. She says her house runs smoothly due to "organized chaos, and lots of lists! Anyone wishing to drop her a line is welcome to at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending on TDS
- Affordable ways to enjoy national parks
- Make your own baby food
- Save money living with your grown up kids or parents
- How to write a will that will protect your heirs
- Build a backyard play area on a budget
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in April
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- April bargains in supermarkets and beyond
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator