Advice from Mom: Homemade Cleaners
by Rae Osenbaugh
Here's a few recipes for household cleaners that can be made from simple items you already have around the house:
General Furniture Polish
1 tsp olive oil
juice of one lemon
1 tsp whisky or brandy
1 tsp water
Mix together. Rub on furniture with cloth, then buff with chamois for a deep shine.
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup borax
Mix cornmeal and borax. Sprinkle mixture on carpet. Leave on for one hour. Vacuum thoroughly.
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp water
Mix together into a thick paste, adding water as needed. Rub onto brass object with a soft cloth. Rinse and rub again to burnish.
1/4 cup baking soda
1/2 cup vinegar
Pour baking soda into drain. Follow with vinegar. Close drain tightly until fizzing stops. Flush with pot of boiling water.
Garden Pest Insecticide
1 tbsp dishwashing detergent
1 cup vegetable oil
Mix solution and store in air-tight jar. When ready to use, add 1 to 2 1/2 tsp solution to 1 cup of water. Spray on plants, covering all leaf and stem surfaces.
Have a good day! --Rae
Rae is the mother of nine (and grandmother of two) in central Nebraska. She says her house runs smoothly due to "organized chaos, and lots of lists! Anyone wishing to drop her a line is welcome to at email@example.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?