Poor Acceleration and Dealer Cost
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
I have been very good to my 1986 Chevy Nova (with Toyota carbureated engine). I.e. regular tune ups and fluids, etc.
However, now in its tenth year, all the major problems now seem to be coming all at once: exhaust, brakes, etc. It's like I never took care of it at all.
Now the latest problem is with acceleration - it just won't do it very well, particularly on hills, even when I floor it. I am concerned that it might get me into an accident.
I have researched the problem and now suspect a fueling problem -- i.e. fuel pump or filter or PCV device.
A Puzzled Reader
A Puzzled Reader,
Hmm, 10 year old car... probably up there in miles... problems with accelerations and hills... sounds like it might be either a fuel pressure.. no wait, you said carb... plugged cat or a damaged (collapsed) muffler. Try those.
Then check your timing. It might be off. When was the last time you changed the timing belt? An easy way to check if it needs replacement is (disconnect the battery or disarm the coil so the car will not start). Remove number one spark plug. Get a socket that will fit on the crankshaft (dampener pulley) retaining nut. Rotate the engine until number one cylinder is top dead center on compression. Now remove the distributor cap. Again rotate the engine until you see the rotor move. Now rotate in reverse. Take not how long it takes for the rotor to reverse. Any more than 5 degrees is too much. Let me know how these things work out.
You reference a method for getting dealer cost on-line, could you please explain how to do this.
It's very easy. Some methods you can pay for, others are free. Go to edmunds.com From there, you can calculate dealer invoice for any give option.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?