Does Cruise Control Save Gas?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband & I have differing opinions about using cruise control. I'm of the thinking (I don't know where I picked this up) that the cruise control will only save on fuel if you are driving straight and flat road with minimal braking. We live in the mountains. Up & down and around curves - doesn't that cause more fuel consumption with cruise control? Aren't there times when cruise control is not cost effective to use?
One common misconception about cruise control is that it was designed to save fuel. This is NOT the case. It was designed as a driver comfort. Depending on the vehicle, the driver might be able to maintain the speed better than the computer can. I can recall a mid 80 GM product. The cruise on this thing was the worst. It would oscilate by about 5 miles per hour and I could keep it dead steady with my foot.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?