New Ford Explorer Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I bought a new Ford Explorer in December, 1996. I have brought it back to the Dealer's Service center 4 times because the "Check Engine" light came on. They said it was the sensor responding to a problem with the fuel tank-pressure . They replaced the sensor but within one week of driving the light would come on. Today I am returning it for another day in the shop while they contact the Ford Engineers to see what the problem is. They also said I might have a problem passing the state inspection due to an emissions problem. I am fully confused! How long do I have to tolerate this problem. I paid CASH for the car and am quite upset. DO I have any rights to ask for a new vehicle?? HELP!
The first problem that I see with this is paying cash for the car! But that is a story for another day. I have heard of problems with this sensor in the gas tank that is not just limited to the explorer. I have also heard of it in the taurus. As for the inspection, starting in 1996 all NEW vehicles must have an emissions warrenty for 100,000 miles. After 50,000 the standards are not as tight, but none the less, they are there. So the burden is on the manufacturer to repair it. If indeed they do not, then I would suggest that you call the US EPA and complain. It might result in a recall if Ford can not correct the problem.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?