Taurus Engine Quits
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently acquired a 1991 Taurus, 6-cylinder, with some 162 K kilometres. My son, the apprentice mechanic has taken the motor apart twice to correct different problems, but this problem keeps re-occuring. Every few days, as I am driving along, the engine just up and quits. The starter turns, but we get no spark. 5 to 10 minutes later, it starts and runs normally. We are guessing a bad wire somewhere, but where to start looking? We have no idea. The fault is difficult to replicate so tracing for a bad wire seems next to impossible. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Marty in Brantford
My first inclination would be the ignition module. I beleieve that on the taurus it is either mounted on the fender or on the fire wall. Try that.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?