Taurus Engine Quits
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently acquired a 1991 Taurus, 6-cylinder, with some 162 K kilometres. My son, the apprentice mechanic has taken the motor apart twice to correct different problems, but this problem keeps re-occuring. Every few days, as I am driving along, the engine just up and quits. The starter turns, but we get no spark. 5 to 10 minutes later, it starts and runs normally. We are guessing a bad wire somewhere, but where to start looking? We have no idea. The fault is difficult to replicate so tracing for a bad wire seems next to impossible. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Marty in Brantford
My first inclination would be the ignition module. I beleieve that on the taurus it is either mounted on the fender or on the fire wall. Try that.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?