Auto Buying Questions
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I hope that you can give me some advice. I'm planning to buy a car within the next 12 months and need some tips on how to buy a car and yet not pay an arm and a leg for the car, insurance, maintenance and every other cost that is associated with owning a car. Preferably it would be a new car, but I will settle for a used car. Is there a car buyers guide that gives the important points to look for in buying a car.
Try going to http://www.edmunds.com This place will give you a wealth of knowledge about both new and used cars. It will tell you what they are currently worth (as rated by Edmund's. remember that this is just a guide and a car is only worth what someone will pay for it!) It also has links to car locator services and insurance.
I am interested in buying a 88' chevy blazer s-10 4.3L. When driving it the service light stays on. The sales rep says that they replaced the calpack chip. The light still stays on. The truck drives fine. Should I look elsewhere?
That light means that there is a problem somewhere in the engine. You need to hook up a code scanner to find out what the problem is. If the light was to go on, then a few minutes later go off, then that problem is not as severe as a problem that the light stays on all the time. That is an indication that there is a major problem. They call this a HARD code. Unless they (the dealer) is willing to make repairs to the vehicle, I would look elsewhere.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?