Auto Buying Questions
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I hope that you can give me some advice. I'm planning to buy a car within the next 12 months and need some tips on how to buy a car and yet not pay an arm and a leg for the car, insurance, maintenance and every other cost that is associated with owning a car. Preferably it would be a new car, but I will settle for a used car. Is there a car buyers guide that gives the important points to look for in buying a car.
Try going to http://www.edmunds.com This place will give you a wealth of knowledge about both new and used cars. It will tell you what they are currently worth (as rated by Edmund's. remember that this is just a guide and a car is only worth what someone will pay for it!) It also has links to car locator services and insurance.
I am interested in buying a 88' chevy blazer s-10 4.3L. When driving it the service light stays on. The sales rep says that they replaced the calpack chip. The light still stays on. The truck drives fine. Should I look elsewhere?
That light means that there is a problem somewhere in the engine. You need to hook up a code scanner to find out what the problem is. If the light was to go on, then a few minutes later go off, then that problem is not as severe as a problem that the light stays on all the time. That is an indication that there is a major problem. They call this a HARD code. Unless they (the dealer) is willing to make repairs to the vehicle, I would look elsewhere.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?