A Clean Engine
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have seen people at the self-serve auto washes with their hoods up cleaning under the hood. As a matter of fact, mine could use a cleaning. I would love a clean engine. Can I just take a spray hose and go crazy? Or, are there areas under the hood that I need to be careful to not get wet? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
You should not spray any electrical component or sensor. The water might damage it. Second, most of that "gunk" under there is oil and grease and just plain water will not clean it. Third, most of the oil and grease might be keeping everything together. Often, I have heard of major troubles starting after a cleaning such as this. Tread carefully! If this is something that you really want to do, go to a auto parts store and get a can of engine de-greaser. This is going to be a messy job, so don't do it on your drive way. Instead, do it out in the street or something. Follow the directions on the can, some need to be hot and others not. Spray it on, wait the specified amount of time, and hose it off. You might need to make several applications to get it "sparkling."
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?