Taurus vs. Bug
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1990 Ford Taurus Station Wagon with a larger engine. It has 52,000 miles on it and is fully paid for. It is reaching the age where $100 - $200 dollar things are starting to go wrong with it. I would love to sell it and buy a Volkswagen Beetle, I had one in grad school and loved it. It used a lot less gas, was cheaper to insure and a heck of a lot more fun to drive. My husband thinks it would be foolish to get rid of the wagon. His theory is drive the wagon until it won't go anymore - or at least 4-5 more years. What is your opinion?
Well the thing about the VW bug that is good is that there are so many engines and parts around. The bad thing is the pollution they make! Did you know that they are still being sold in Mexico?!? But they cant be sold here due to pollution problems. As for the Taurus, I think they are great cars. They are the number one selling car for how many years in a row? There has to be a reason for that! I have one. The problem that I see is that you got the 3.8 liter engine. The 3.0 was a better choice. a little less power but better fuel economy and less problems. Keep an eye out for anti freeze leaks or the smell of antifreeze in the exhaust and change the oil every three thousand miles!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?