Taurus vs. Bug
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1990 Ford Taurus Station Wagon with a larger engine. It has 52,000 miles on it and is fully paid for. It is reaching the age where $100 - $200 dollar things are starting to go wrong with it. I would love to sell it and buy a Volkswagen Beetle, I had one in grad school and loved it. It used a lot less gas, was cheaper to insure and a heck of a lot more fun to drive. My husband thinks it would be foolish to get rid of the wagon. His theory is drive the wagon until it won't go anymore - or at least 4-5 more years. What is your opinion?
Well the thing about the VW bug that is good is that there are so many engines and parts around. The bad thing is the pollution they make! Did you know that they are still being sold in Mexico?!? But they cant be sold here due to pollution problems. As for the Taurus, I think they are great cars. They are the number one selling car for how many years in a row? There has to be a reason for that! I have one. The problem that I see is that you got the 3.8 liter engine. The 3.0 was a better choice. a little less power but better fuel economy and less problems. Keep an eye out for anti freeze leaks or the smell of antifreeze in the exhaust and change the oil every three thousand miles!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?