Taurus vs. Bug
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1990 Ford Taurus Station Wagon with a larger engine. It has 52,000 miles on it and is fully paid for. It is reaching the age where $100 - $200 dollar things are starting to go wrong with it. I would love to sell it and buy a Volkswagen Beetle, I had one in grad school and loved it. It used a lot less gas, was cheaper to insure and a heck of a lot more fun to drive. My husband thinks it would be foolish to get rid of the wagon. His theory is drive the wagon until it won't go anymore - or at least 4-5 more years. What is your opinion?
Well the thing about the VW bug that is good is that there are so many engines and parts around. The bad thing is the pollution they make! Did you know that they are still being sold in Mexico?!? But they cant be sold here due to pollution problems. As for the Taurus, I think they are great cars. They are the number one selling car for how many years in a row? There has to be a reason for that! I have one. The problem that I see is that you got the 3.8 liter engine. The 3.0 was a better choice. a little less power but better fuel economy and less problems. Keep an eye out for anti freeze leaks or the smell of antifreeze in the exhaust and change the oil every three thousand miles!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?