Plymouth Van A/C
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We have an 89 Plymouth Van that the A/C has been getting less and less cool for about a month. Finally last week it quit blowing cool air completely. My husband handles all our maintenance but cannot purchase freon so we were forced to take it to a shop. They say EVERYTHING is out on the A/C and will cost $1100 to fix. They put in new freon to see what was leaking. My husband went up this morning and (without their knowing) started the van and the air is working fine. How do we know what is really wrong with the air and what really needs replacing or is it just a slow leak that we can live with?
Well, to put it mildly, a freon leak is a bad thing. Not very harmful directly to you or family, but to the environment! In order to be a auto a/c mechanic, you have to be fully certified! Since the bill is a bit high, I would imagine that they are going to do a retro fit to the new freon, r-134a. If they are NOT, then tell them to do it! it sounds like they are going to replace just about everything. Again, if that is the case, then yours is a good opportunity for a retro fit. The compressor needs to be changed, as well as the receiver and some fittings and 'o' rings. Soon, this new replacement will be banned as well until they can find an environmentally friendly solution. Now, the reason that the a/c worked the next day is because the technician probably charged the system to find the leak. The freon that is left is probably what your husband discovered. It probably won't last long.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?