Fading Taurus Paint
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 89 Taurus with a 3.0 liter engine that runs great and has 131K miles. I'd like to milk a few more miles out of this car before I have to sell it. The biggest problem is the silver clearcoated paint. Being in Texas and 9 years old it has been hit with lots of sun and the clear coat is now turning cloudy and pealing on the hood. Can you make any recommendations on having the car painted as far as what type of paint, who you recommend to do it, price range, etc.
Rick in Houston
I must admit, that I am not an auto body expert... to be honest, I know very little about current paint technology. You might want to check out your local body shop guy and ask them... I might imagine a good paint job running around $1000. One frugal place you might want to look at would be your local Vocational Technical High School... Especially ones that offer courses in body repair and painting. They need cars to practice on. And all you have to pay for is parts (at cost of course)!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?