Fading Taurus Paint
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 89 Taurus with a 3.0 liter engine that runs great and has 131K miles. I'd like to milk a few more miles out of this car before I have to sell it. The biggest problem is the silver clearcoated paint. Being in Texas and 9 years old it has been hit with lots of sun and the clear coat is now turning cloudy and pealing on the hood. Can you make any recommendations on having the car painted as far as what type of paint, who you recommend to do it, price range, etc.
Rick in Houston
I must admit, that I am not an auto body expert... to be honest, I know very little about current paint technology. You might want to check out your local body shop guy and ask them... I might imagine a good paint job running around $1000. One frugal place you might want to look at would be your local Vocational Technical High School... Especially ones that offer courses in body repair and painting. They need cars to practice on. And all you have to pay for is parts (at cost of course)!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?