Fading Taurus Paint
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 89 Taurus with a 3.0 liter engine that runs great and has 131K miles. I'd like to milk a few more miles out of this car before I have to sell it. The biggest problem is the silver clearcoated paint. Being in Texas and 9 years old it has been hit with lots of sun and the clear coat is now turning cloudy and pealing on the hood. Can you make any recommendations on having the car painted as far as what type of paint, who you recommend to do it, price range, etc.
Rick in Houston
I must admit, that I am not an auto body expert... to be honest, I know very little about current paint technology. You might want to check out your local body shop guy and ask them... I might imagine a good paint job running around $1000. One frugal place you might want to look at would be your local Vocational Technical High School... Especially ones that offer courses in body repair and painting. They need cars to practice on. And all you have to pay for is parts (at cost of course)!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?