Fading Taurus Paint
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 89 Taurus with a 3.0 liter engine that runs great and has 131K miles. I'd like to milk a few more miles out of this car before I have to sell it. The biggest problem is the silver clearcoated paint. Being in Texas and 9 years old it has been hit with lots of sun and the clear coat is now turning cloudy and pealing on the hood. Can you make any recommendations on having the car painted as far as what type of paint, who you recommend to do it, price range, etc.
Rick in Houston
I must admit, that I am not an auto body expert... to be honest, I know very little about current paint technology. You might want to check out your local body shop guy and ask them... I might imagine a good paint job running around $1000. One frugal place you might want to look at would be your local Vocational Technical High School... Especially ones that offer courses in body repair and painting. They need cars to practice on. And all you have to pay for is parts (at cost of course)!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?