'87 VW Jetta Brakes
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I read with interest the question recently about squealing brakes. My problem goes beyond initial brake application squeal. I have a 1987 VW Jetta that I recently got from my sister. The paint is faded, the interior is almost immaculate and the car runs pretty good (idles a little rough, but runs good when it warms up and averages 30-34 MPG). My biggest complaint at this point about the car is the incessant squealing of the brakes. It is quite annoying. I have tried cleaning the pads and rotors (air, water, brake cleaner) and while the squeal disappears for a short while, it always comes back. I am not sure what type of pads are on the car, but if I had to guess I would have to say semi-metallic. Am I going to have to get rid of the semi-metallic pads and put on organic pads to get rid of the squeal?
I am sorry to say, but semi-metallic pads do often squeal a lot. One thing you might want to try is a product called "squeal-stop". I think that it is put out by permatex. You put in on the back side of the pad. The part that goes against the caliper. This is supposed to help "quiet" those guys down.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Ways to reupholster a couch inexpensively
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Homemade fabric fresheners
- Surviving the water bill
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?