Fixing Your Own A/C
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '91 Jetta turbo diesel and the A/C is not very cold. I suspect the freon requires recharging. Can I do this myself? Will it save me any money?
Unless you are a certified A/C technician, you can't get the freon (unless it is the newer r-134a). Years ago, the USEPA banned the sale and manufacture of r-12 (the freon used in auto a/c units). And to put it mildly, there is no way to save money when it comes to auto A/C!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?