Fixing Your Own A/C
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '91 Jetta turbo diesel and the A/C is not very cold. I suspect the freon requires recharging. Can I do this myself? Will it save me any money?
Unless you are a certified A/C technician, you can't get the freon (unless it is the newer r-134a). Years ago, the USEPA banned the sale and manufacture of r-12 (the freon used in auto a/c units). And to put it mildly, there is no way to save money when it comes to auto A/C!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.