Fixing Your Own A/C
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '91 Jetta turbo diesel and the A/C is not very cold. I suspect the freon requires recharging. Can I do this myself? Will it save me any money?
Unless you are a certified A/C technician, you can't get the freon (unless it is the newer r-134a). Years ago, the USEPA banned the sale and manufacture of r-12 (the freon used in auto a/c units). And to put it mildly, there is no way to save money when it comes to auto A/C!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?