Special Kid's Birthday without Expense
by Shauna Sonoda
Here is an idea for making your child's birthday a little extra-special at absolutely no cost to you (except some time). Throughout the year look for birthday clubs at various merchants in your area and sign your child up. Around the time of your child's birthday you will receive coupons for free goodies. Arrange to spend a day with your child - just him/her and you - to cash in on the various goodies offered. It is a great way to spend quality one-on-one time.
I did this with my son on his birthday this August. Baskin Robbins had sent him a coupon for a free birthday cone. He also received coupons from local mall merchants. The goodies included: a free donut, an arrowhead, an Orange Julius, a McDonalds happy meal, a sticker book, a box of candy, a goldfish (we passed on that one), and a book worth $4.00. We collected all the goodies and spent the rest of the day at the park. My son had a smile on his face from ear to ear.
One caveat, be sure to pack some food to take along as you may be tempted to buy some goodies for yourself along the way.
Shauna has also contributed "Christmas in July". It suggests ways to save on holiday spending if you start early. You can read it at: Christmas in July. .
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- When your teen is ready for their first car
- Save over $2000 in baby's first year
- Get rid of lice for good!
- Ways to avoid the high cost of a divorce
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator