'91 Mazda with Crazy Wipers
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1991 Mazda Pretege. Around last fall my windshield wipers quit working. I brought the car in and my mechanic said the brushes were wet, he dried them and the wipers worked. This spring they quit working again, so I had a friend pick up a used motor at the salvage yard and install it. It worked fine. Now in the last two weeks, the wipers have quit working two times. If someone goes in and attaches the old motor that was previously in there and gets it to spark on the ground wire, the wipers will start working again ( using the "new" motor ). My mechanic bench tested the "new" motor and said it was fine. No one seems to know what to do. The switch appears to be in good working order. A friend thinks it might be a short in the electrical system. HELP!! Living in Minnesota, I really need my wipers, both in summer and winter.
These type of problems are hard to diagnose, but since you are getting 12 volts to the motor (since you need to "jump start" it) I do not think that there is a problem in the car, but in the motor. You might want to try spraying the brushes with "wire dry". This is the same stuff that you would spray on ignition wires or a distributor cap if it gets wet. Something else is WD-40. It is supposed to displace water. Another thing that you may want to think about is getting a newer unit from a retail outlet like Pep Boys (or its equivalent in your area).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to decorate a backyard gazebo
- How to clean vinyl siding
- Spring cleaning your kitchen
- Using seconds on building projects
- Saving on pool expenses
- 4 critical, but often overlooked home maintenance items
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?