'91 Sable Check Engine Light
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We own a 91 Sable wagon, 3.8, 6 cyl. Within the last couple of months, the check engine light has come on more and more frequently. We took it to our mechanic who put in on a diagnostic machine. It couldn't find a reason. He said the next step would be to check the fuel injectors. Do you know what could be causing the problem. It appears to do it more when the car is pushed, even just a little. It goes out, sometimes right away, sometimes in a couple minutes. Any suggestions?
The fuel injectors will not directly turn on the check engine light. There is NO feedback from them to the computer. Now, unless they were allowing too much or too little fuel, that would set a rich or a lean condition that would be stored in the computer. Whenever a check engine light comes on, it sets a trouble code in the computer. Now, if there are no codes present or the codes are conflicting, then I would suspect that the computer is going bad.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?