The Birthday Present
by Rae Osenbaugh
A Great Present (and a good laugh!)
My husband and I recently went to a friend's fiftieth birthday celebration. One of the cutest gifts he received was a short branch of dead wood (approximately 8 inches, with no leaves) with a notecard attached with a nice thong through a drilled hole on one end.
The notecard read:
This is a yard stick. I know because I found it in my yard.
You can do many things with this yard stick.
You can check how deep a puddle is.
You can check the gas in your lawn mower.
You can play catch with your dog.
You can even use it to start a fire.
You can use it for whatever you wish,
Just don't put it back in my yard!
The yardstick was passed around all the guests--we all laughed and laughed....and some of us copied the inscription, planning on using the idea ourselves the next time we needed a cute gift! The giver of the yardstick explained how she saw the idea in a fancy gift store, and went home and made her own.
(Sometimes the inexpensive gifts are the most remembered!) Have a great week!
Trending on TDS
- Selling kids' clothes hassle free online
- Free consignment clothing
- Inexpensive storybook costumes
- 10 things you can stop buying at the grocery store
- Money-saving tips for large families
- Start a baby-sitting co-op
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in September
- Teen texting-while-driving cost: No LOL
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator