The Birthday Present
by Rae Osenbaugh
A Great Present (and a good laugh!)
My husband and I recently went to a friend's fiftieth birthday celebration. One of the cutest gifts he received was a short branch of dead wood (approximately 8 inches, with no leaves) with a notecard attached with a nice thong through a drilled hole on one end.
The notecard read:
This is a yard stick. I know because I found it in my yard.
You can do many things with this yard stick.
You can check how deep a puddle is.
You can check the gas in your lawn mower.
You can play catch with your dog.
You can even use it to start a fire.
You can use it for whatever you wish,
Just don't put it back in my yard!
The yardstick was passed around all the guests--we all laughed and laughed....and some of us copied the inscription, planning on using the idea ourselves the next time we needed a cute gift! The giver of the yardstick explained how she saw the idea in a fancy gift store, and went home and made her own.
(Sometimes the inexpensive gifts are the most remembered!) Have a great week!
Trending on TDS
- 5 ways to prevent elderly relatives from throwing away money
- Teaching small children about wants and needs
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- 10 kid-friendly tips for surviving long winter days
- Keeping your toddler warm at night
- Home remedies for colds and flus
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- December bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- A dozen things you should buy in December
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- How to start writing your will
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator