The Birthday Present
by Rae Osenbaugh
A Great Present (and a good laugh!)
My husband and I recently went to a friend's fiftieth birthday celebration. One of the cutest gifts he received was a short branch of dead wood (approximately 8 inches, with no leaves) with a notecard attached with a nice thong through a drilled hole on one end.
The notecard read:
This is a yard stick. I know because I found it in my yard.
You can do many things with this yard stick.
You can check how deep a puddle is.
You can check the gas in your lawn mower.
You can play catch with your dog.
You can even use it to start a fire.
You can use it for whatever you wish,
Just don't put it back in my yard!
The yardstick was passed around all the guests--we all laughed and laughed....and some of us copied the inscription, planning on using the idea ourselves the next time we needed a cute gift! The giver of the yardstick explained how she saw the idea in a fancy gift store, and went home and made her own.
(Sometimes the inexpensive gifts are the most remembered!) Have a great week!
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in September
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
Rehab your poor financial habits before tackling the bad behavior of your kids.
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Get your kids involved with their school lunches
- 6 ways work-at-home moms can find temporary childcare
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Simple recipes for picky eaters? Video
- Financial tips for your college-bound student
- The perks of part-time work
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator