'92 Skylark Brakes
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 92 Buick Skylark. I could hear a squeaking sound when I was driving. I was advised that it was probably my brakes. So I took it in and had new brakes, and new rotors put on. The squeaking stopped for about 1 day. So after a week or so I took it back and they said that the only thing they could find is that the rotors were glazed. So they deglazed the rotors. Again the squeak went away but only temporarily. I have since moved and it is not convenient to go back to the same shop.
Did you have semi metallic brakes installed on your car? If so, that is probably where the sound is coming from. Another possibility is the buildup of brake dust. In either case, the sound is normal as long as it is not loud and attention getting.... if you are driving down the road, and people turn to see where that hideous noise is coming from, then it could be something else. Since you already brought it back to the shop and they did not see anything wrong I would imagine all was okay.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?