courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We would like to purchase a tent camper this year, also known as a pop-up. However, I am concerned about what we will be able to use in the future to tow it. We currently own a Dodge Shadow with 88,000 miles on it and a towing capacity of 2000-2500 lbs. This will work great for now, but obviously is not a long term solution. As I do not wish to drive a minivan or a pick up truck and will probably be buying a used car, do you have any sources of information that would help me track down which cars might have adequate towing capacity (at least 2000 lbs) and not be absurdly expensive? It seems that many cars these days only have a towing capacity of 1000 lbs or so.
Might I suggest a Sport Utility Vehicle. These vehicles have a towing capacity of at least 4000 pounds. You might be able to find one coming off lease. Additionally these vehicles will offer you the same amount of room that you currently enjoy with your minivan. Your family will have room to grow with these. Also, they come in different sizes. There are two door models and four door models.... there are mid size and full size. Might I suggest you look at the Ford Expedition.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?