'92 Lumina Starting Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My problem is with starting my 1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4- door Sedan. Just recently, it came to the point that whenever I try to start my car, I must turn the key in the ignition twice and on the third try the car cranks just fine. Also, with the first two tries I hear a loud clicking noise. I've replaced my battery, I've had a new starter installed and I even recently had my thermostat replaced, although that was for a different problem. My car currently has 130,000 miles on it. An associate of mine that drives a Chevrolet Corsica seems to be having the same problem. Any ideas?
Okay, so you turn the key the first two times and nothing happens, then on the third time she goes... you had a new battery put in and a new starter.... okay, do you hear a click or a hum?? does the interior light dim while you do this? Some cars, this light will go out all together but on others it will stay lit, just dimly..... The problem may be with the cables from the battery to the starter... I want you to check at the battery to see if they are tight and there is no corrosion (fluffy white powder or blue-ish colored powder on the cable ends). I want you to look at the wires and see if they look okay... look to see if the insulation (the rubber covering) is cracked or worn... Also, the problem may be with poor grounds.... If all of these check out okay, then the problem may be with the ignition switch itself.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?