'92 Lumina Starting Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My problem is with starting my 1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4- door Sedan. Just recently, it came to the point that whenever I try to start my car, I must turn the key in the ignition twice and on the third try the car cranks just fine. Also, with the first two tries I hear a loud clicking noise. I've replaced my battery, I've had a new starter installed and I even recently had my thermostat replaced, although that was for a different problem. My car currently has 130,000 miles on it. An associate of mine that drives a Chevrolet Corsica seems to be having the same problem. Any ideas?
Okay, so you turn the key the first two times and nothing happens, then on the third time she goes... you had a new battery put in and a new starter.... okay, do you hear a click or a hum?? does the interior light dim while you do this? Some cars, this light will go out all together but on others it will stay lit, just dimly..... The problem may be with the cables from the battery to the starter... I want you to check at the battery to see if they are tight and there is no corrosion (fluffy white powder or blue-ish colored powder on the cable ends). I want you to look at the wires and see if they look okay... look to see if the insulation (the rubber covering) is cracked or worn... Also, the problem may be with poor grounds.... If all of these check out okay, then the problem may be with the ignition switch itself.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?