'84 Volvo Cries When I Turn
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My 1984 Volvo 760 GLE is still chugging along, but lately it's been moaning when I turn the wheel, almost like a crying cat. I've topped off the power steering fluid, but that didn't help. I like it much better when it purrs.
Sounds like your power steering pump has about had it. There are some products that you might want to try that "recondition" the pump. You will find them in any auto parts store. There is one in particular that I remember, but can't think of the name, that is a synthetic version of whale oil. Supposedly in years past, they used whale oil in power steering pumps, transmissions, and rear ends. You might want to try that. Other than that, I'd say have the pump replaced and the rack flushed out.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Will my insurance spike if I rent out my basement?
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- 5 tips to sell a home before buying another
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?