'84 Volvo Cries When I Turn
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My 1984 Volvo 760 GLE is still chugging along, but lately it's been moaning when I turn the wheel, almost like a crying cat. I've topped off the power steering fluid, but that didn't help. I like it much better when it purrs.
Sounds like your power steering pump has about had it. There are some products that you might want to try that "recondition" the pump. You will find them in any auto parts store. There is one in particular that I remember, but can't think of the name, that is a synthetic version of whale oil. Supposedly in years past, they used whale oil in power steering pumps, transmissions, and rear ends. You might want to try that. Other than that, I'd say have the pump replaced and the rack flushed out.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?