'85 Cavalier Starts on Second Try
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an 1985 Chev cavalier with no catalytic converter. The manifold is connected to the tailpipe, but it runs fine. The problem is, it NEVER starts on the first cranking, but ALWAYS does on the second. With #1 gas it used to be better, but now it is consistent on the second start. Can you help?
Is the car fuel injected? If it is, then you might be losing fuel pressure while the car is off.... Try this, before starting the car, turn the key on and wait five seconds. Then, turn the key off and on again for 5 seconds. Don't turn all the way, just enough to get the lights and stuff on... then off, now try to start. If this works, then the problem lies with fuel pressure... Either the pressure regulator is leaking or the fuel pump is leaking, or the injectors themselves.... If I remember right, that car should be throttle body injection. Basically a computer controller carb with some really fancy jetting.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?