courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I'm having a problem on the Caravan. I never know when it will stall on me. It will re-start after a while and run well but it will still stall at the most unpredictable time. The mechanics who have worked on the van says its the SMEC (computer); others say it is the sensors. They have performed a major tune-up, but still cannot detect the problem. Can you help me?
Does the check engine light ever come on? Are there any codes set? What is your fuel pressure? When was the last time you had a fuel injector cleaning? At what conditions does it stall? At idle, at curise speed, in reverse?? I need more information. If the problem is at idle, then try disconnecting the battery for 24 hours. Then reconnect it and idle for 15-20 minutes. This will force the computer to "re-learn" how to idle. IF this does not work, then the computer might be bad or the IAC (idle air control valve).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?