courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I'm having a problem on the Caravan. I never know when it will stall on me. It will re-start after a while and run well but it will still stall at the most unpredictable time. The mechanics who have worked on the van says its the SMEC (computer); others say it is the sensors. They have performed a major tune-up, but still cannot detect the problem. Can you help me?
Does the check engine light ever come on? Are there any codes set? What is your fuel pressure? When was the last time you had a fuel injector cleaning? At what conditions does it stall? At idle, at curise speed, in reverse?? I need more information. If the problem is at idle, then try disconnecting the battery for 24 hours. Then reconnect it and idle for 15-20 minutes. This will force the computer to "re-learn" how to idle. IF this does not work, then the computer might be bad or the IAC (idle air control valve).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?