Power Steering Problems
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
I have a sorta 2-part question on power steering. I have a 1985 Buick Skyhawk with 122,000 miles. I have developed a leak in the power steering. Sometimes it leaks worse than others, and it seems to have stopped now that: 1. it is cooler outside ( Atlanta, below 90 degrees :) 2. I put some of that Stop-leak in it, a few cans of it. is it worth it to continue putting that stuff in it, will it fail while I am driving ?
Also, now that it is cold, 40 degree mornings, my power steering gets stuck in the morning. When I first start out, it won't turn. I let it warm up some, 2-5 minutes, then as I am backing out, I try to turn. It STICKS, finally turns (slowly at first), then works OK the rest of the trip. Is this related to question #1, and what is the answer?
The problem with dumping in pint after pint of stop leak is that you can eventually clog the rack or the steering box. I don't think that your car has a steering rack. But in any case, if you cant stop the problem with just two applications, then you should consider an alternative solution. You can probably get a used pump.... wait... how do we know it is the pump that is bad... maybe it is a hose or a clamp that is loose... You need to find out exactly where the leak is.... now assuming that it is the pump... you can get a used one from a junk yard. They are not that difficult to change. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this one a 4 based solely on messiness.... Now as to the problem of the power steering sticking... I think you now know the answer to that....
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?