Power Steering Problems
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
I have a sorta 2-part question on power steering. I have a 1985 Buick Skyhawk with 122,000 miles. I have developed a leak in the power steering. Sometimes it leaks worse than others, and it seems to have stopped now that: 1. it is cooler outside ( Atlanta, below 90 degrees :) 2. I put some of that Stop-leak in it, a few cans of it. is it worth it to continue putting that stuff in it, will it fail while I am driving ?
Also, now that it is cold, 40 degree mornings, my power steering gets stuck in the morning. When I first start out, it won't turn. I let it warm up some, 2-5 minutes, then as I am backing out, I try to turn. It STICKS, finally turns (slowly at first), then works OK the rest of the trip. Is this related to question #1, and what is the answer?
The problem with dumping in pint after pint of stop leak is that you can eventually clog the rack or the steering box. I don't think that your car has a steering rack. But in any case, if you cant stop the problem with just two applications, then you should consider an alternative solution. You can probably get a used pump.... wait... how do we know it is the pump that is bad... maybe it is a hose or a clamp that is loose... You need to find out exactly where the leak is.... now assuming that it is the pump... you can get a used one from a junk yard. They are not that difficult to change. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this one a 4 based solely on messiness.... Now as to the problem of the power steering sticking... I think you now know the answer to that....
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?