Power Steering Problems
by Ask Bob: The Auto Answer Man
I have a sorta 2-part question on power steering. I have a 1985 Buick Skyhawk with 122,000 miles. I have developed a leak in the power steering. Sometimes it leaks worse than others, and it seems to have stopped now that: 1. it is cooler outside ( Atlanta, below 90 degrees :) 2. I put some of that Stop-leak in it, a few cans of it. is it worth it to continue putting that stuff in it, will it fail while I am driving ?
Also, now that it is cold, 40 degree mornings, my power steering gets stuck in the morning. When I first start out, it won't turn. I let it warm up some, 2-5 minutes, then as I am backing out, I try to turn. It STICKS, finally turns (slowly at first), then works OK the rest of the trip. Is this related to question #1, and what is the answer?
The problem with dumping in pint after pint of stop leak is that you can eventually clog the rack or the steering box. I don't think that your car has a steering rack. But in any case, if you cant stop the problem with just two applications, then you should consider an alternative solution. You can probably get a used pump.... wait... how do we know it is the pump that is bad... maybe it is a hose or a clamp that is loose... You need to find out exactly where the leak is.... now assuming that it is the pump... you can get a used one from a junk yard. They are not that difficult to change. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this one a 4 based solely on messiness.... Now as to the problem of the power steering sticking... I think you now know the answer to that....
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?