Winter Fuel Economy
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '93 Tercel with 85K miles. I calculate my mpg every time I fill up and recently it dropped from 39 to 32. It has stayed that way for two months. I changed the air filter, spark plugs, and checked the tire pressure, but to no avail. What else could have caused such a big reduction in gas mileage? I switch gas stations almost every time I pump and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles myself. It seems to be running fine which makes it very frustrating. Thank you.
Well, depending on what part of the country you live in, if in northern colder or maybe even not so cold climates, they change the gas to run on a "winter" blend. This fuel is not as good as "summer" blend and you notice it by reduced fuel economy.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?