A Sick Ford Taurus
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I would like to ask two questions about my 1989 Ford Taurus:
- When I drive the car straight down the road at a low speed the steering wheel rocks back and forth very noticeably. Once above 20 mph or so the rocking stops. At higher speeds I feel rocking through the brake pedal and gas pedal. When I turn the wheel slightly to the left I hear a noise from what seems the right front wheel. The noise will continue when the steering wheel is centered also. Turning the wheel to the right causes no noise. Any ideas?
- The windshield wiper blades do not stop in the normal off position, but drop to the off position and then rise about 2" to 3". At times the blades will slightly rise higher if a good stiff wind from a semi hits the windshield. Other times the blades will move as far up as possible and stop. However, when I run the wipers on intermittent the blades act normally.
As for your steering wheel vibration, sounds to me like a wheel out of balance. But then you added that thing about the turning and the sound. That could be a CV joint.
Now for your wipers, yours seem to act exactly opposite to mine. When set to off, they are down and resting on the holders. When on intermittent, they are about 2 or so inches up. And as for the movement during a stiff "breeze", the same happens on mine. Personally, I don't like the design of the wiper arms. Not the blades, but the part that attaches the wiper to the car. On the driver's side, there is a rivet the holds two pieces of metal together that is constantly breaking. When this breaks, the wiper does not track straight. I know this does not really answer your questions, but it as close as I can come with my experiences.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?